Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX's acceleration times?

even a modded RX with cams, intake and exhaust (although very light on the exhuast) didnt break into the 15's....they are NOT drag cars.

These cars are made for rallying and road racing.

US figs are around 111-115 HP and 134 ft lbs TQ...and euro is about 136 or 140 or so on TQ...

Probably around 160-200 range....which is very possible with stock turbo, header, intake manifold and cams....once you get past the 160 mark...you need to go with some cams, something better than the stock header and turbo back exhaust....and then the stock turbo becomes the stopper...so, increase that bottle neck and you're free to go!

And take a look at these threads:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...82T+performance

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...82T+performance

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...ghlight=recipie

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...ead.php?t=17330

(look at my second post down a little ways....the recipie is there too)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum...read.php?t=2550

(good information in that thread about high compression turbo stuff)

According to the carfolio link, the AWD XT Turbo's weighed 2500 lbs stock? Are they really that light??

The link above is a UK site which is not listing US specs for these cars. The 1986 Subaru service manual lists the RX sedan at 2520 lbs and, while I don't remember the exact weight, I do recall that the XTs were heavier than their equivalent configurations (FWD vs 4WD and SPFI vs MPFI Turbo) would be in the L-series sedans/coupes (though I'm not quite sure why the XTs are heavier).

How much power is needed to have the time in about 6-6,5 sec?

Using straight power/weight ratio math and calculating based on a USDM 1986 Subaru RX Sedan (2520 lbs), you would need about 185 hp (which is how much power is required to have the same power/weight ratio as a USDM 2005 WRX which has a 0-60 time in the low 6s range).

Note that this does NOT account for traction or gearing, however, so this is definitely just a ballpark figure.

To calculate this same basic figure for a different car, use:

({your car's weight} x 227) / 3085 = {required hp}

So 6,5 seconds in 0-60mph acceleration is easy to get... I've heard that the Euro Spec RX with Garrett T03,large intercooler, 2,5" exhaust and better exhaust manifold can have 200-220hp and the pistons etc. will last up to 240hp. I think that I might buy RX (or Leone or XT) some day...:)

Locks?

the center diff onthe Full Time 4WD ones feature a switch to lock the center diff....the Leone RX's has LSD rear standard...at least here in the states. Ive never known a factory LSD in the front tho....unless you get an STi....

i want a front lsd.

on the note of 4wd, i just go outta manual transmissions class, the lessons on transfercases and diffs were based around trucks, the suby is the oddball in the world of 4wd and awd. but with trucks, 2wd is usually the rear wheels and when you put it into 4wd, the front engage, but the fronts have a lower gear ratio. more to the point, on the rx is it safe to drive on the streets in 4wd in the rx?

i want a front lsd.

on the note of 4wd, i just go outta manual transmissions class, the lessons on transfercases and diffs were based around trucks, the suby is the oddball in the world of 4wd and awd. but with trucks, 2wd is usually the rear wheels and when you put it into 4wd, the front engage, but the fronts have a lower gear ratio. more to the point, on the rx is it safe to drive on the streets in 4wd in the rx?

What year RX? 87+ is always in 4wd, so naturally its safe to drive on the street in 4wd. I wouldn't do it with the diff lock on.

85-86 is not FT4WD, so no, driving on the street in 4wd is not a smart thing

mine is an 86, d/r 5spd. the service manual doesnt say anything about driving in 4wd, nor does the fsm. the only warning is about the lsd in a situation where one wheel is spinning in mud or snow. neither b ook mentioned that driving in 4wd hi would cause any damage.

mine is an 86, d/r 5spd. the service manual doesnt say anything about driving in 4wd, nor does the fsm. the only warning is about the lsd in a situation where one wheel is spinning in mud or snow. neither b ook mentioned that driving in 4wd hi would cause any damage.

The Owner's Manual certinly does.