Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing belt and alignment marks do not line up

timing belt and alignment marks do not line up...I had the aligment marks all lined up but, the timing belt marks were all off by about 2 to 3 inches to the right. Now i've rotated the engine around and I have the timing belt marks all lined up, and all the alignment marks line up .. except the crank mark... it's pointing to roughly 3 o'clock. WTF???

You may have had it right the first time. When the passenger side cam mark is straight up, there will be 3 small lines showing on the flywheel. These are not the timing marks, those are about 90deg to the right. Once you have this belt on and lined up you need to rotate the crank so the pass cam is pointed down. Now with the drivers cam mark pointed up, put on the belt. After your all done, time it with a timing light.

sorry.. need to be more detailed... I have a 98 2.5 4 cam engine. The $ucking timing belt is being a bi$ch. On the old belt before I removed it I lined up all the marks on it with the marks on the corresponding cam pulleys. The only one that didn't seem right was the crank, but I think I figured that out.. The mark on the sprocket behind it is straight up, but the arrow on it is pointing to 3 o'clock.

My new dilema....

I set the new belt on the drivers side cams and while trying to route the rest of belt the top (intake?) cam spun. After changing my underwear I spun it back the way it went by hand and it seemed not to hit the other valves (or piston). Is there an easier way to put this thing back on?