Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please Help With My Subaru

Hey everyone,

My older brother gave me a 1988 subaru gl automatic all wheel drive 4 door car. it has a turbo charger in it also. It has about 167000 km's on it and the inside is in perfect shape. I had to get the suspension replaced and thats about it. The outside is in awsome shape except for the wheel well. It has lots of rust underneath it but it is just starting to make its way to the outside of the wheel well. My first question is how should I repair this? Should I bondo it? or I was thingking of getting it cut out and a peice welded in. If I did that whats the estimated cost? and what kind of metal should I get welded in place? another question I have is how long do these subarus last? like how many km's before you start haveing majour problems? and I will try and post a pic but how much do you estimate a car like this is worth?

Any help is much appreciated!

thanks

dont know much about rust, but dont be afraid of how long itll last. give another 50,000km before worrying (estimate, im too lazy to convert from mi to km) about your car's performance. a couple things go out quite easily such as cv joints, so depending on how bad you beat up your car it should still hold you up. search this site for any questions you have about it and you should be a-ok. if you want a price range go to kbb.com. even tho its americano it should help you find out its worth.

thanks for the info on the life of the car but I am still wanting to know the estimated price or if someone here has had it done but the price of the rust being cut out and new metal being put in. so in easy terms,

-how much for the metal

-how much for the welder to shape and weld it on

-the rust has attacked a 4 wheel wells and is totally destroying them so I want to get this done fast so please reply if you can

thanks a bunch

I used to have a '88 GL-10 also and had it for 13 years. To do it right would mean replacing the old fenders and then they would have to be painted. I guess this would cost at least a couple thousand dollars at a shop. This would be about what the value of the car is, as it is. You would have a good looking car but it would still be a 16 year old car and who knows what will break next. I would drive it as is and save your money for a newer vehicle. The newer Soobs have plastic in the high rust areas.

It doesnt sound like you are in the USA, so any prices we give might be irrelevent to you. I would suggest looking for a donor car, I think a 85 - 89 wagon would even work for you. You can use the front fenders for direct replacment, but you will need to cut out sections from the rear quarter panels to replace the old rusted ones.

Yeah i thought maybe a gl-10. All were turbos and automatics. .
Quiet you. You are a little too clueless to be handing out info. Practice learning through silence

Just to clarify, Not all GL-10s were turbo, nor were they all automatics.

Rust.

Not exactly sure where you are, but as was stated above, finding a donor car (85-94 in the US) is going to be the best bet. As far as price goes, if you are looking to have a shop do it and the rust is anywhere as bad as you described, I would seriously consider finding a rust free car with a bad motor.

If you can do it yourself, you will save tons of money.

One thing to keep in mind, its really hard to give any sort of price estimate to people in other parts of the world. the subaru market is vastly different outside of North America where 90% of the board membership is located

MeatWagon: All turbo-equipped EA81 cars were automatics. (Not all were GL-10s though, and several people have put manuals in them.)

ashesh: If it's rusted, and you live in a coastal area or someplace where they salt the roads, and you absolutely love the car--bolt on new fenders on the front, and have a shop weld on new rear quarters. Have them take care of the undercarriage at the same time, and have it undercoated. Wash and wax often and don't park it on dirt. If it's just a beater, though, don't even bother with the Bondo, just run it into the ground and get an Impreza or second-generation Legacy when it dies.

Just my .02

Okay... like my sig says the only stuff i know is what ive learned here before this i was clueles... I just remember used to wanting a gl-10 but then heard they were all autos i guess for the ea-81s and made bad assumptions and then im posting wrong. Oh well im done trying to give advice... later.