Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20T Swap?

We have an excellent search function here.

The EJ20 turbo motor is known as the EJ20G. But it is sometimes called the EJ20T.

Here's what the search function came up with for EJ20T

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php?searchid=6060

And for the EJ20G

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php?searchid=6062

Generally, it picks up the words you use and gives you posts with all or part of the search words.

Give it a try, it's up in the header panel above.

Well to answer your questions, yes, I have done that swap, and yes it does work. There are many things that you can do to an EA82T to increase hp, some of them can be inexpensive, but most are not. By the time you get an EA82T any where near 200hp, you could have bought an EJ20G out of an early JDM Legacy RS (200 to 220hp) with tranny for $500 to $800 and had it installed in your car. The EA82T with 200hp would not be all that reliable and at the top end oof hp increases, but the EJ20G would be very reliable and have a lot more room for hp increases.

DR. RX,

When you say early JDM legacy what year are you talking? I am looking for more power for highway speeds but I don't want to loose my 4x4. Damn, I forgot to mention I have a brat...85, anyway is the swap still possible? how much mod to the frame and drive line is there?

Well to answer your questions, yes, I have done that swap, and yes it does work. There are many things that you can do to an EA82T to increase hp, some of them can be inexpensive, but most are not. By the time you get an EA82T any where near 200hp, you could have bought an EJ20G out of an early JDM Legacy RS (200 to 220hp) with tranny for $500 to $800 and had it installed in your car. The EA82T with 200hp would not be all that reliable and at the top end oof hp increases, but the EJ20G would be very reliable and have a lot more room for hp increases.

The only real mod that needs to be done it to the rear portion of the transmission mount (the mount has three pieces), the rear piece needs to be narrowed. The other thing is that you'll need to get the front portion of the two piece driveline (EA82 style) shortened 55mm, I'm not sure of the measurement for a single piece driveline like those in teh BRATs. Everything else just bolts right up. As for years to looks at for JDM EJ20Gs out of Legacys, they started installing them in 89 in Japan, and continued up till 95 I believe, maybe even later. So if you can get a 90 to 93, they should fall within that price range with trannies. Hopefully that will have the ECU with them, but chances are that the wiring harness will be cut. There are several aftermarket programable ECUs that are available that will work. Another thing, if you get a 92 or later engine, there are tabs on the motor mount that will need to be ground off.