Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat t-top tinting ideas??

The California sunshine is great, but since the Brat t-tops are not very dark, I feel like I'm in an oven when I drive it around at noon. Since the glass does have some waffle-pattern tinting to it, I am not sure regular window tint will stick. Any ideas out there? I thought of painting them, but I cant imaging that would look good or hold up to the sun.

Thanks.

Keith

Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping for something durable, and stickers might be hard to remove fully since the waffle pattern is on the inside and I would never be able to razor blade off the sticker or tape residue.

Here's a story: I like to open the tops when its hot, since I dont have air conditioning, and I had my front licence plate (never have put it on) stuck up there over my head, wedged between the t-top and the wind deflector, but I went to open the t-top and forgot it was up there, the tension that was holding it there went slack as I opened it up and BAM... right on the noggin. I startled myself, because I forgot it was there. My wife laughed.:rolleyes:

Any thoughts on regular window tinting? Do you think it would sitck over the waffle pattern stuff?

Keith

Any thoughts on regular window tinting? Do you think it would sitck over the waffle pattern stuff?

Keith

Just a wacky thought...

What about the outside?? When I removed the tint from the SVX I had to use amonia to get it off, so I think it may stand up fairly well to water. Even if it does come off every 6 months, it wouldn't take much film to replace it and you could do it on the comfort of your workbench/kitchen table.

i think all you need is a light coat of black spraypaint

tape off what you dont want painted, then just dust it at first, see how you like it, if it scratches, you can just touch it up.

i had a friend who blacked out his 300z this way, and it looks very nice from the outside. and if you mess up, clean it off with gas, and start over =]

Still pondering my options. Do you think spray paint will hold up or will I have to re-do it every 6 months? Although the waffle pattern may actually help the paint stich to the surface better than smooth glass.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Keith

I wouldnt paint it, thats pretty permanent. At the least it will take some harsh chems to get it off. I use the Dot Matrix Static Cling stuff on my back and side windows of my Mazda truck. Its stayed on for years and does ok blocking the sun. They also make the solid type stuff also.