Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting off/Low end

I currently have a 1989 GL Touring Wagon 3at with 70k on it that seems to be REAL slow. I know that the GLs (non turbo) weren't exactly speed demons, but this seems like there's something wrong. I definately pulls better as it revs a bit, but from a stand still, it almost seems to sputter (it doesn't, but it almost seems to if that makes any sense). I've done a complete tune up (plugs, cap, wires, coil, air filter, fuel filter, timing etc) but it does not seem to do much. As I don't know anyone personally who own a Subaru (at least not an older one) I can't compare with them. Does this sound normal or is there something that I'm missing here? For the most part it runs real well. It starts right up in the morning, never stalls, doesn't use any oil, doesn't overheat. All in all, it runs O.K., but I do get a hesitation when I'm excellerating (especially from a stand still) while the engine is warming up. By this I mean that it hesitates during the time after the initial higher revs (like a choke would do) and before it gets to normal operating temperature. Could this be related? What should I look at?

Thanks all.

you can advance the timing about 2 degrees see if that helps. just have to remember to turn it back come smog check time.

call me a moron, but I always get this confused, advance is higher? right? I'm having the same problem, my solution is to ditch the motor, poor thing, I'll hang on to it for parts, but the loyale SPFI goes so much better.

-Chux

So the general concensus is that it's the combination motor/3at? Is there anything specific that I should be looking at on these cars to at least make them run as well as possible and get the most out of it? The hesitation is what bothers me the most. I just know that it isn't right. It feel a little like it's suffocating but I've gone through the air hoses and none seem to be blocked.

Thanks for the responses.

Get access to a timing light or you are just shotting i nthe dark here. See if your timing is even off. How can you advance it exactly 2 degrees when you cant even see the degrees? :) It's all guessing untill you have a timing light pointed at your fly wheel.

Your warm up symtoms could certainly be related. Sounds like the issue is magnified when the engine is cold. Mine behaves similarly right now but I've neglected the issue hehehe I just floor it becuase going partial throttle just makes it hesitate worse but WOT it runs great !_!

Just to be sure this is the EA82 with SPFI and no carberuator right? Maybe some dude before you set the timing to carb spec (8 degreet BTDC) instead of SPFI spec (20 degree BTDC) which would make a huge difference in acceleration. Again who knows untill you shoot a timing light at it :)

Good luck!

I have a timing light, and I've checked the timing, it's right at 8 degrees, advancing it would be to turn it to 10 right? or am I bassackwards?

-Chux

is it a carb or efi??? if its carbed, its ok,m if its efi, it needs to be 20 degrees btdc...... and some other things, open up the airflow passage to the engine.... if efi, ditch the intake muffler, its in the right side fenderwell.... if carbed, you might want to cut the pan some..... eitherway a k&n air filter will also help out some, plus they make your soob sound cooler.....

It's SPFI and I'm almost positive that the timing is set correctly. I'll triple check it to make sure that that's the case.

As for the stumble/hesitation, it's fine when it's cold (1st started) and fine when it's warmed up fully. It's the middle ground that is off. It's not like it sputters and lurches around, but it's more like when I push the gas pedal down, nothing happens. It's like the motor goes back to idle for a few seconds before beginning to rev up/accelerate.