Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any machinists out here that want a challenge?

Hey ya'll, just thought I'd bring up that I have two transaxles split apart with me scratching my head trying to figure this one out at the other end. modefying the final drive and all. the ring gear is the easy part. modefying the pinion gear to fit a FT 4wd is the hard part. I was thinking about looking into aftermarket datsun 510 stuff to find the shorter gears actually.

That presents another problem in that the highway gearing would probably be too low. The high range on my brat is fine......cruising the interstate at 75mph in 5th gear hits about 2800 rpm. With 5.xxx gears the car might be limited to about 55mph. Hence the better bet is to change the low range gear or regear the entire tranny with first gear being a granny gear with a ratio of about 6:1.

My buddy has a few scouts. My favourite is his '64 scout 80. Gutless, but is like a mountain goat on the rocks. VERY simple, short, with good overhangs, and nostalgic safari kind of feel. The scout 800s have v8s, and alot more go.

His 78 scout II is very heavy (like 5000lbs) and IH v8s suck, they are big and heavy but gutless, and his rear overhang is worse than a subaru wagon. They also come with sucky gearing in the axles (3.07-3.73:1). They do come with strong axles though.

Scout 80/800s rock, so do Samurais, early toyota pickups (friggin indestructable!), or full size heeps (jeeps) /cherokees. I cant think of anything else that isnt ridiculously expensive ie Jeep cj/yj/tj :-p

Might have to cut out the side of the tranny, and tig weld a cover back over the now exposed gears..... anything is possible, but the cost might be pretty high. Unless we could find someone that would do a bunch of them and get a bulk order going. If we just bought the parts and assembled them ourselves it might not be terribly expensive, but getting enough people on board for what is sure to be no less than $500 - $1k for each set is unlikely. Too bad too..... I would really like to see that happen.

Oh - and lets not forget the HUGE pile of broken stubs and axles that would result from this..... carnage on a scale that has not been seen before on this board anyway. Rectifiing that situation is possible to... chromoly stubs, and cryo-treated axle cups.... maybe with reinforcing welded to them as well....

GD

I would be happy to spend $500 for a 4:1 low range gear......I could manage the rest of the work myself. Hence why this post is titled "Any machinists up for a challenge". I believe the tranny gears could handle the extra torque as long as you treat it gently. Anyone who has experience with rock crawling already knows that slow and steady keeps things from breaking.

With a 4:1 low gear ratio I could probably keep up with most of the Jeeps out on the trail. My brat has great clearance, great traction and reasonable articulation. It just needs more power to crawl slowly.....ie lower gears.

naw see, I just wanna get back the original subaru engine RPM to speed ratio, now that I am gonna have these monster tires on it. Also for those who run even larger, like 33s, compared to my 28's I wanna drop the final down to around 4.4 to 1, which will make my ride feel like it had the original 22 inch tires on it. I dont want to shred axles, Just make the car acceleration practical on the street not having to use low gear. Also save the clutch too. I was just gona stick with the 1.47 to 1 low gear out of the EA82 p/t 4wd tranny, and the full time aspect of the RX tranny. I believe the RX tranny also has shorter gears than the normal 5 speed too.

I did some research about the gearing of the various trannys and came up with the following. Unfortunately I dont think you will get enough from any of these trannys to push 31" tires.

Year ............................1st ........2nd ......3rd ......4th .........5th .......Rev .....4wd low

1982 D/R.....................3.636.....1.950....1.193....0.769.................3.583....1.462

1982 Brat D/R..............3.636.....1.950....1.266....0.885.................3.583....1.462

1983-1988 4dr/RX ......3.545.....2.111....1.448....1.088....0.871....3.416....1.196

1983-1988 Wagon........3.545....1.947 ....1.366....0.972....0.780....3.416....1.592

I'm not argueing - I'm telling you that NO EA81 ever came with a 5 speed 4WD of any kind. 83/84 were EA81 years. Period. There's nothing to argue about - I guarantee it.

I have an 82 4 speed in my wagon right now - and an 82 Brat sitting out there. Plus an 85 Brat as well. I KNOW the gearing of EA81's. I don't know the gearing of the EA82's as well so I can't comment on that.

GD