Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well makin some progres... next comes powersteering

So i messed up my car pretty bad the other day trying to be a rally badass when i dont really know how to drive yet... :banghead: stupid stupid stupid. But it has turned into a project. I got the interior pretty well cleaned out... still missing my quarter glass and a mirror but i am getting those sent soon as well as a blinker. My next and i think last real problem besides dents and scratches is my power steering. Okay so right after it happened i had a bunch of stuff that looked to me like oil on the inside of my car but the oil is fine. Its now dripping in around the steering wheel. The car was on its side you see and i dont think it liked that much. The power steering is non existant and i had to drive it home like that... could this have caused any major damage to the steering? The power steering resevoir is bone dry. I would fill it but dont you think theres a pretty major leak? How should i go about fixin this and where should i start? Tell me what you think. Thanks

so you tipped your car. ROFLMAO man thats too much, i wish you had pics. LOL hope your ok though. what were you doing, and why? i hope you wern't on the street, if so ill be mad at you. :grin:

first off what color was the oil? i dont see what would've been in your car. tranny fluid? are you sure it wasn't a drink you had in the car?:drunk: <----sounds like it. lol

just make sure the resivoir isnt cracked, and crawl under and check the lines.

explain the story please! :grin:

tyler j

Haha well... okay heres the story and its kinda long and really stupid. Okay soo no i was completely sober and no other substances were involved just 16 year old stupid ideas. Okay so i just got this car thursday... 86 turbo coupe. Pretty nice good condition new engine runs great. So i went to get my sister at a friends right after breakfast. So i got her and this is the first time she was in the car so i was just drivin around showin her how nice it was. I decided to take the back way home and have a little fun on the gravel roads. I was going not to fast but when id get around a corner id do a little drift kinda thing in four wheel drive. I am pretty good at em and have done hundreds. So anyways i come to a real steep part and i am goin like 35 in the gravel. My tires are totally bald so i got no traction. I drift out to far and over correct twice and fishtail a little and then turn sideways and hit a bank. It flipped us up on our side with the hood facing down hill. I was laughing histerically... what a rush. My sister was kinda freaked but we were totally okay. I banged my arm a little out the open window on the gravel but she was unscathed. So we got out called my mom and flipped up the car on 4 wheels. Not to much damage... roof rack came off and power steering fluid drained. Mirror busted off but totally clean so a real easy fix. Back quarter glass broke out and tail lights broke out. All of it should be fixed soon. Ill get back to the seen of the crime and take some pics as well as of the car. It should be fine and then eninge is still good as ever.

Sorry that whole thing is kinda scattered its just how i remember it. Ill have pics in the next couple days.

Oh and i know this was a totally retarded thing to do and i shouldnt have thought it was the funniest damn thing i ever did but i did get my license taken away and i am in pretty big trouble so i really do regret it. Remember all my old posts saying how i was gonna be a good driver? Well im an idiot and my mom was right not to want me to get a car. Oh well lesson learned and this has actually become a REALLY fun project. Next time i should just buy a car pre wrecked and rebuild it. Its a lot of fun.

Actually youd be surprised. She took this way better then i thought. When i called her i was just like... Hey i effed up... my cars on its side... can you come get me. And she was totally calm about it. She wouldnt come get me because she was afraid it would be nasty but when i walked in the door i just handed over my license and said hey i know this is comin. She realized i knew i messed up BIG TIME and was a little more forgiving because of it. Well i learned my lesson... I need to learn to drive like a pro before i try to drive like a pro...

wow... sounds a lot like my friend's story, except not as stupid (ahem..):

My friend steve, after getting into trouble with MY mom for being an "evil influence on me" when she found out we off-roaded in my sister's geo storm, decided that he and one of his other friends were going to take HIS mom's 2000 ford windstar off roading to show off its "kick-arse accelleration, dude" (his words). well, he took it about 10 miles in the middle of the desert and flipped it on its side. right before this occurred, he and his friend realized they werent wearing seatbelts while sidewinding at 60 miles an hour. he had just plugged his belt in when he hit a whoop and spiraled out of control. after the crash he climbed out of the window and saw what he had done. he stared at the van for 15 mins just wondering what his parents would think about this situation. they flipped the van over and found out it wouldnt start (due to the emergency shutoff switch in all fords when they flip over to avoid leaking gas). he hiked 10 miles back, got on the phone, and called me. at first i thought it was a joke, then he started to panic. i couldnt help but laugh at his complete stupidity. it should be in the darwin awards honorable mentions.

alright, storytime's over.

hahahaha hahhhh ahhhh haha... man if i was drivin my moms car i would be so dead... hahaha. Seein as how i payed 100% outta my pocket tho she was alright. WHen i flipped it back up it was still running but i turned it off to make sure nothin bad was happening. It wouldnt restart but i popped the hood and saw one batt cable wasnt connected. It started right up after i popped that badboy back on. I thought it was funny as hell... maybe i was in shock i donno but i thought it was hella fun just the rush of it. We were both wearin our seatbelts thank god and it saved both of us im sure. After we were on our side my sister was just kinda dangling from hers. Scared me afterwords.. i coulda died... but im alive now so its all good:grin:. Oh and since i just got the car i had no insurance so if a cop woulda come by i woulda been screwed... This guy drove by in a truck and the car was on its side and my arm was all bloody and HE DIDNT EVEN STOP that jackass just gave me the eye and kept on goin. He called the fire department and a guy came but i already had the car righted and told him that it had never flipped and my parents were on their way... he siad okay and just took off.... whew... close call

thats funny i have had my car air born and have even ran over a tree and messed up my quarter pannel and my dad just laughed. my dad says if i break it i dont get to drive any of his cars though.:( oh well i just go and do donughts in the dirt and other crazy stuff.

yea sounds like it wasnt too bad. i mean stupid wise. Besides you did it on a gravel road, alone (i think). i do that kind of stuff in a desert where if i do any damage it will be to only me, and my property. and also, you wont learn to be a good driver just putting arround out there now would ya? ;)

but still and all we all make mistakes but as long as you made a mistake im gonna bug ya about it, or at least untill i do something like that.:grin: but i guess i expect it so. eh!

AND a coupe?! those are nice, you should get a beater or "less nice" car to fart arround in. lol

take care,

tyler j

also just on a "unseen damage" side of this, inspect really well, because my hatch was in a MINOR accident, (left front side as well as drivers door,) and the front is all back together, but i noticed that the door and jam were pushed back a few mm, so shutting it isnt' as smooth as it should be.

just go eagle eye on i and make sure its all straight, not that you can do anything about that but if anything goes wonky, you can suspect this was the cause. such as doors not closing right, or a wiered pull while driving.

yeah the door wasnt closing because of a big dent but i banged that out and the hatch wouldnt close because a big lip of metal got pushed over but i fixed that now too so that stuff is working... I havent had a chance to drive it since the accident with power steering so i dont know if theres like a bent axle or sumthin goin on... but i guess ill find out soon enough.