Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why is it I have brake problems everytime I let one of my cars sit for a month or so?

Strange but today on one of the Brats that I have not driven for a while I decided to take a ride... Well pop her in first and go to pull out and I hear a clunk sound in the front driver side... I drive down the road and apply the brakes and I get vibration in front and shaking... What do you think maybe a caliper froze up on me????

My Wagon I pull out and drive a while and I smell Brake... And a funny noise in front driver side on this car... Again I didnt drive this for a month .. What the hell is wrong with the driver side brakes on my EA81 Cars????

So what do you guys think besides driving all my subies more LOL...

I've never seen that, but as you are in PA, I would have to say it's probably rust related. Either rusty rotors, or rusty calipers. Could be that those calipers are in need of a rebuild... I've seen ones out here on the left coast that caused the pads to wear at an angle, and made sqealing noises because of it. In the end you'll probably just have to start dismantling the brake systems to see what's what. It's not something that is easily diagnosed from a description of the noise it makes :-p

Note that there are two types of calipers and rotors - vented rotor style, and non-vented style. Make sure you know which one you have, and order the parts accordingly. For the vented, use an '84 model year, and for the solid rotor's use the '82 model year. '83 was half and half, and will confuse the situation.

GD