Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a YYAYYYY and a BOOOO and a question or 2

haha that rhymed... anyways... Okay so contrasting to my fear i got the hatch closed on my newly wrecked 86 gl coupe. I thought maybe i cause a lot of structural damage and i was gonna have to redo a lot more. Instead though i just banged a little metal back and had to fiddle with the little connectors a bit. Closes great though now. Anyways now to the boo and the question or 2. The paint has peeled a bit and its already showing signs of rust. Whats a good temporary way to keep it offa there. Like some brush on crap or sumthing? Its not gettin wet at all around here except moisture in the air. Any ideas....!?

Actually, even Primer is porous enough to let the metal rust, if, you just use primer. As a "temporary" coating it's okay. Temporary meany 2 - 3 days maybe, some what dry weather. Worst Primer to use is the "sandable" type, it's even more porous.

That said, it's still okay to use primer to cover bare metal while you're in the throngs of doing body repair(s). Just don't spray it on and expect the metal to be good to go 6 months down the road, 'cause it will be rusty. Primer itself, isn't a rust preventative, (even Rustoleum), it needs the top coat of paint over it to seal out moisture..