Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 alternator on EA81

Will an alternator from an EA82 fit on an EA81?

The alternator on my brother's '81 died out in the boonies. I have a spare alternator for my '87, and was wondering if it will fit, or if we have to go buy an alternator.

I always thought that the alt. from a EA82 would not fit on a EA81 as a bolt up item... Or was it another ALt. from a different sub that you needed to change the pulley thinger... Joe Gee when I turn the AC on in my Brat the voltage drops down low... So whats a good size alt. to put on from what car???

I always thought that the alt. from a EA82 would not fit on a EA81 as a bolt up item... Or was it another ALt. from a different sub that you needed to change the pulley thinger... Joe Gee when I turn the AC on in my Brat the voltage drops down low... So whats a good size alt. to put on from what car???

I don´t know. I´ve installed a stock EA82 alternator on four EA 81 engines.....and ´82 brat, ´83 and ´84 wagon, and my ´84 brat. I never had any issues with any of the installs. I never pull EA81 alternators at the yards since I know the newer ones fit and are slightly better. You can even get the XT alternator to fit if you change the pulley and add a spacer (gets you an 90 amp version).

As far as the voltage drop, there´s a relay that kicks in when you turn on the air conditioning which is supposed to increase your idle rpm to compensate for the lowered voltage. Maybe it´s not doing the job?

Unfortuanately, it will fit, but the '81 will not have the same wiring connections. The '81 model year had the external voltage regulator. '82-'89 are all the same - even turbo model's. '90-'94 Loyale's are also the same as these.

And Ed is absolutely correct on fitting the EA82 alts. I have an 87 Turbo Wagon alt on my 85 Brat right now.... (BTW - this is true for starters too)

GD

Unfortuanately, it will fit, but the '81 will not have the same wiring connections. The '81 model year had the external voltage regulator. '82-'89 are all the same - even turbo model's. '90-'94 Loyale's are also the same as these.

And Ed is absolutely correct on fitting the EA82 alts. I have an 87 Turbo Wagon alt on my 85 Brat right now.... (BTW - this is true for starters too)

GD

I think the horse is dead...Billy Bob...stop kicking it...LOL!! This topic was and is still a hot topic because of my '81 Wagon and it's gremlins. I have inquired and this is the answer: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=14

My knowledge is vast...my memory is slow...so the answer to which alternators are swappable without modification to the bracket is EA81 and EA82 alternators are swappable...except for the XT6 unit. I am going to put my fuel pump on a relayed switch from the ignition switch and take the external votalge regulator out of the loop when the EA82 internally regulated alternator is in...simple as that...but...I'm lazy...so it is not proven by my own hands and eyes. Hope this helps! Xenongod

Not sure anyone has tried this, after doing the XT6 alternator swap, I noticed that the Alternator on the Impreza is very similar.

Has anyone every tried putting a EJ series alternator onto an EA engine. I know that the starter will work for both.

Anyone willing to try it out.

hey Xenongod could you shoot me the directions on how to do that cause I want to make my 76 internal regulated to get rid of the crapper of an external regulator so I can crank up the juice to another notch

The directions are in the link I posted...Hondasucks mentions by just taking the wiring harness to the external voltage regulator and snipping the connector to it out...you can wire together the needed wires in a new way to work with the internally regulated alternator. Then modify the fuel pump to work only when the engine is running...bingo! Xenongod

• 3 weeks later...

EUREKA!! This modification works like a charm!! My wagon is running around Denver streets again!! Get rid of the external problematic regulator and do this if you have insufficient charging or gremlins...it is 100% proven to work. Thanks everyone!! Xenongod