Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, now what?

(cont'd from "Help please" thread)

I took the timing belts off so that I could get everything aligned properly and I was trying to put enough 18 ft lbs of torque on the left side cam sprocket before tightening the tensioner down. My manual says 12- 18 ft lbs, so the first time I did it, I put about 12 ft lbs on, but I was worried about getting the belt tight enough. I do not have the fancy "belt tension wrench" they show in the service manual. In my manual it says to put the torque on one of the bolts holding the camshaft sprocket on.

Here's the problem..... As I approached 18 ft lbs in the counter clockwise direction, that loosened the bolt. Now all three bolts are loose and I can't even get 12 ft lbs of torque on them. Now what do I do?

Thank you guys for being so patient and helpful!

Dianalee

Get them as tight as you can. PUt the belts on properly. Then you can hold the belts as you tighten it down and easily get 18 ft.lbs.

Or if you are handy with metal cutting and welding you could just make the elite cam gear hodler tool. Basicly its just a Y of metal with 2 dowls at each arm in the Y. The dowls fit into 2 of the holes on the gear.

Maybe I'm not expaining well. Per the instructions in my manual, I'm using a torque wrench on one of the three bolts holding the cam sprocket on. 18 ft lbs counterclockwise unscrews the bolt. I can't get it back on tight enough to where I can get 18 ft lbs without unscrewing it.

Dianalee

Get them as tight as you can. PUt the belts on properly. Then you can hold the belts as you tighten it down and easily get 18 ft.lbs.

Or if you are handy with metal cutting and welding you could just make the elite cam gear hodler tool. Basicly its just a Y of metal with 2 dowls at each arm in the Y. The dowls fit into 2 of the holes on the gear.

Maybe I'm not expaining well. Per the instructions in my manual, I'm using a torque wrench on one of the three bolts holding the cam sprocket on. 18 ft lbs counterclockwise unscrews the bolt. I can't get it back on tight enough to where I can get 18 ft lbs without unscrewing it.

Dianalee

You explained it perfectly. I had the same problem as I didnt have the special tool either.

Get the cam gears on as well as you can.

Put the belts on. Since you arent going to start the engine like this its okay the cam gears are not at 18 foot lbs

Now you can hold the belts while you torque down the cam gear bolts.

I still am not explaining it right. The cam sprockets are on, I'm not having a problem there. I want to put torque on the cam (counterclockwise) so that I can tighten the tensioners and the timing belt will be tight enough. I was using the cam bolts to do that, but I can't now. What else do I do to put torque on the cam so that my timing belt will be tight enough?

Dianalee

You explained it perfectly. I had the same problem as I didnt have the special tool either.

Get the cam gears on as well as you can.

Put the belts on. Since you arent going to start the engine like this its okay the cam gears are not at 18 foot lbs

Now you can hold the belts while you torque down the cam gear bolts.

What if I used some kind of oil filter wrench that attaches to the torque wrench? WOuld that affect the torque reading or would it be good enough?

Dianalee

(cont'd from "Help please" thread)

I took the timing belts off so that I could get everything aligned properly and I was trying to put enough 18 ft lbs of torque on the left side cam sprocket before tightening the tensioner down. My manual says 12- 18 ft lbs, so the first time I did it, I put about 12 ft lbs on, but I was worried about getting the belt tight enough. I do not have the fancy "belt tension wrench" they show in the service manual. In my manual it says to put the torque on one of the bolts holding the camshaft sprocket on.

Here's the problem..... As I approached 18 ft lbs in the counter clockwise direction, that loosened the bolt. Now all three bolts are loose and I can't even get 12 ft lbs of torque on them. Now what do I do?

Thank you guys for being so patient and helpful!

Dianalee