Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Brat fuel pump replacement

Hi all, new poster here. I know my way around an Impreza well, but the old school stuff is greek to me. In spite of this, I'm looking for an inexpensive Brat to get me through my first winter in Reno, Nevada. Inexpensive of course, means not quite working perfectly. I found a possible candidate in Truckee. It's an '82 with 160k on the clock, and the ad says it needs a fuel pump. Also says "recent tuneup" so I figure that means the plugs, filters, cap, and rotor are new. All I'm concerned about is being able to drive it all the way home to really get the maintenance done.

So my question is, can I reasonably expect to quickly and easily replace the fuel pump in this guys driveway? If I have the FSM to work with (I don't mind getting one, or better yet downloading it from Subaru) I can get it done in the time the manual says it should take. Is there a likelihood that the fuel pump could have caused problems with the engine, like leaning it out and possibly causing damage before it failed entirely? Anything else I should be prepared to make right before attempting to drive it over 7500-ft. high Donner Pass? Thanks in advance fellas!

What he said!

My FPCU just gave out but the pump still works just fine. Pull the wires and see it the FPCU is giving you power to the pump?

With the key on.

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, still looking for FPCU.....

01 Forester

toggle switch!

the fuel pump is right behind the rear passenger tire, 3 bolts and 2 hoses, there is a filter there too.

if you hardwired it you can run 12v+ from the +coil terminal to the pump, and ground the pump to the body

i would run the wires thru the fuel or brake line grommets on the floor, and ground the wire to a bolt on the seat or any bolt in the area

my temp solution for bad pump wiring was to hook up a wire to a cig lighter adapter, and plug it into a 12V socket (Cig) and run the wire out the rear slider, and down through a bed drainage hole to the pump... been running that way for a while now while I try to get some other crap done.....