Ultimate Subaru Message Board

reading codes on 94 Loyale (edit: 92 not 94)

under the hood, there are green connectors and black(or white) connectors on the driverside firewall near the strut tower. plug the black connectors(single blade) together to read the codes. there is an led on the ecu, just drop the plastic down under the steering column enough to see the led

How do I read the "check engine" codes on a 1994 loyale? Are there any wires I can hook together like I can do on my Legacy?

Thanks much.

As you can see, I've got a 90. So things might be different.

On mine, remove plastic trim panel just above your shins as you're seated in the driver's seat. This exposes a silver (aluminum box). This is your engine control module (ECM). On the face of the box, you will see an inconspicuous hole. In that hole is a little blinking red light.

Now open the hood. On or near the firewall at the upper right hand side near your brake master cylinder, you will see a number of unplugged electrical connectors. Plug together the two green ones.

Start the car. Examine the blinking light. It blinks like morse code. Long and short blinks. 5 steady shorts means you do indeed drive a Loyale with a standard tranny (7 is an automatic). After that, see if you note a pattern. Long blinks count for ten, shorts for one.

So, for example, if you note LONG LONG LONG SHORT SHORT SHORT SHORT, that's a trouble code 34 - EGR Solenoid on the fritz. The codes are all listed in starting on page 6-12 of the Haynes. Drop $15 for the book, it'll help you.

• Like 1