Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual-port kit or the other one?

Guest jcdenton

Guest jcdenton

Hello, I am not sure of which one would be best, the kit mentioned in "DUAL PORT HEADS!!! (EA-81)" or "Anyone interested in EA-81 HI-PO rebuild kit?"

the dual port heads and custom intake manifold rock, but the cam you need would suck as it would probabaly be around 4,000 - 5,000 rpm.

but what if you got the custom manifold (the one made for the webber) with huge-ported normal heads and use EA71 pistons to increase the CR and use the stock cam?

am I making sense?, or would that not work?

thank you.

Guest GeneralDisorder

I doubt the stock cam is designed to flow enough for the amount of breathability you would gain from the heads, and intake. Just wouldn't match.

GD

Guest Tom63050

According to Emily, the Brat cam is torquey, the 2WD cam is for HP, and the non-Brat 4WD cam is an average of the two. If we want more flow maybe the way to go is 2WD cam. Or get one of those cams the aircraft guys sell.

Guest SubaruJunkie

If your going to go with a dual port head, your going to want a cam that will be able to use all that air and fuel comming in. Unfortunatly, i dont think we're going to get good torque or hp at low rev's with a dual port head. For power in the low revs, you might consider just a plain jane EA81 with a weber.. maybe a mild cam and some small tweaks like timing etc. For big power in the high rev's, then the dual port head will work good. With our OHV engines, with a nice set of rockers and a well ballanced engine, i dont see why we cant hold a steady 5000+ rpm for the street :)

-Brian