Ultimate Subaru Message Board

YIPEEE! It STARTS!!!!

Ok, I did the timing stuff like you guys told me and I got the car started!!!

Thanks to a strip of metal and some JB weld (whick I bought to put the timing window back together) on a bolt in the middle I made a tool to put some torque on the cam sprocket. I was scared to fake it, as was suggested by everyone who gave me suggestions on how to torque that. SO, after sitting for a month, she starts! She makes a bothersome tapping noise like she always does before the oil gets circulated, although I think it's a little louder now. I don't know whether that's fixable or a sign that I will need to replace the engine soon. I tried to get it checked out by a mechanic, but he said I should just get a new car. (This car is great...interior and exterior are great...I see no reason to get a new car just so the mechanic doesn't have to do anything more complicated than change belts and oil.) I haven't put her all the way back together yet. I will do that tonight and take her on a test run

Thanks for all your help!!!

Dianalee

Gratz on getting it started back up. The ticking noise is prob the dreaded lifter noise that some subes are plagued with. Usally a re-seal of the oil-pump and others help to shut it up. Do a search on lifter noise or ticking on the board, should come up with a ton of posts about it. Let me know if you ever need any help, I'm right over here in Lakewood and have owned and worked on so many subarus I can't even count them anymore. Oh and not a very good mechanic to tell you just to get a new car, I know an extremely good mechanic that won't try and jack you...my brother and his shop is right here in lakewood. With the bonus that he lived and worked in Bailey, CO forever which means he worked on mostly Subarus up there.