Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Muffler Request

Im near completion of my summer project...getting my first subaru up and running. the muffler was shot but the existing pipe is in good shape so i hacked off the muffler right above the rear drive axle and now im in the process of finding a muffler that will fit that spot... im not going to through on a cherry bomb...i want somehting quite yet good sounding. im thinking of a common "turbo" type muffler but im not sure how to mount it.

QUESTION...does anyone have a picture of an aftermarket muffler in that spot for the existing round muffler...i need some ideas on how to go about this. any pic will do, i just wna tto make sure i get something that fits and not have to keep returning stuff. Thanks guys.

Hey Peter

I did exactly what you’re talking about to my ’87 GL wagon. I had a brand new “turbo” type muffler (it came off my dads ’89 Buick, it was louder than the stock one so he replaced it) and no money so I made it fit. I cut the stock one off the tail pipe and with the hanger rods off the stock muffler and a piece of tail pipe from one of my junkers I fashioned it up, works great.

I have to run to Spokane right after work, but I’ll try to snap a few pics of it tomorrow.

Gary

hey thanks for the responces...fastest ive seen on this board yet...at least for my own posts.

I drove around the block without the muffler on and its really not that loud compared to what i would have thought. i guess replacing the Y-pipe with one that has the cat intact would help. i could order a turbo type muffler from a the local parts place but im acualy going to try a cherry bomb...glasspak first. im thinking it will sound alright..a little quiteter than withought the muffer. does anyone run a glasspac and have comments on the sound...is it that bad?

and most of the turbo mufflers i have seen are 2.75in or 2.5in...and the inlet is offset and the outlet is centered...opposit of what that link was showing me.

I run a straight pipe on my lifted wagon. Gives it a nice sound I think. Cheap too. Cost about $3 for the pipe. Really not all that loud, and People ask me all the time what sort of custom exhaust I have..... I tell them the muffler fell off (it did!) :lol:

GD

aint that illegal? im thinkin of doing that to my non-lifted wagon by cutting the pipe off at the cat and save it and then welding some sort of brace to it so i can interchange the pipes come emission time (one for the sound, and one to pass the test :grin: )

does anyone run a glasspac and have comments on the sound...is it that bad?

I've run cherry bombs and thunderbolt style glass packs. cherry bombs are ghetto compared to the thunderbolts. http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/tbolt1.htm This link shows how the core is different. The more rugid construction and that rifled/spiral louver core makes all the difference. Cherrybombs are poorly constructured with thinner metal and the core design took no thought what so ever.

I thought the glass pack I run was a Dynomax Thrush glass pack but it's not. I found a PDF document on Dynomax's website. http://www.dynomax.com/documents/thrushglass.pdf It has the same wussy core as the cherry bombs. The glass pack I have on clearly has the thunderbolt core but they are made in AK, USA while my muffler says "made in canada" on it.

Anyway long story short go with the thunderbolt core if you can find it :) I was not impressed with cherry bombs at all. They dented really easy and sounded kinda cheesy.