Ultimate Subaru Message Board

highbeam problem

hi everyone

i wonder if there are someone who can help me whit lobeam/hibeam problem.

my problem is that my hibeam stays on all the time, even when i dont have the hibeam on. i cant get the hibeam off and i need help from guys who nows sub and loves theme. my car is an 86 loyale wagon.

i have been asking around on all carshops but they dont now a ****. the only answere i get is it cost a lot of money to fix it.

can someone help me please

Hey

Its most likely in the switch, as far as I've been able to figure out the early Subarus dont use headlight relays. Open up the column and take a look could be just a gummed up sitcky switch, if not look for a junkyard replacment.

Gary

I wish I were home and could look in the FSM. I have an ´86 also and my recollection is that there is a pair of headlamp relays but I´m not really sure. Someone else will certainly look for you. Álso check the fusebox, if there are separate fuses for the high and low beam, a temporary fix would be to pull the fuse for the highs.

if I remember correctly, I believe there are four relays mounted above the fuse box. One is for the left head light, another is for the right head light, another is for the blower fan, and I forget what the fourth one is for.

Was just playing around with my 86 sedan all day tracking the light circuits, so I have a rough idea what you are looking at.

Your headlight switch is on the dash and the dimmer switch is on the steering column Right?

When you turn on the ignition it powers the two relays for the lights (locate just above and to the right of the fuze box)

black- | |

black- | |

Black with red stripe- | | Feeds power to fuses 6 and 7

Black with white stripe-|___________| Gets Power from Red fusable link

Black- | |

Black- | |

Black with white stripe -| |Gets Power from Red Link also

Black with Yellow Stripe-|__________| Feeds power to fuse 8

These power the lights

one fuse to the right light

and one fuze to the left.

then power returns through the dimmer switch to ground.

On mine someone had wired one of the wires on a headlight to ground so I had headlights on when the key was turned on. Didn't need to turn on the switch, couldn't change from high to low, just had lows always.

Check to see that there is no extra ground on the circuit.

I have all the wiring color codes if you need them.

Hush

Was just playing around with my 86 sedan all day tracking the light circuits, so I have a rough idea what you are looking at.

Your headlight switch is on the dash and the dimmer switch is on the steering column Right?

When you turn on the ignition it powers the two relays for the lights (locate just above and to the right of the fuze box)

black- | |

black- | |

Black with red stripe- | | Feeds power to fuses 6 and 7

Black with white stripe-|___________| Gets Power from Red fusable link

Black- | |

Black- | |

Black with white stripe -| |Gets Power from Red Link also

Black with Yellow Stripe-|__________| Feeds power to fuse 8

These power the lights

one fuse to the right light

and one fuze to the left.

then power returns through the dimmer switch to ground.

On mine someone had wired one of the wires on a headlight to ground so I had headlights on when the key was turned on. Didn't need to turn on the switch, couldn't change from high to low, just had lows always.

Check to see that there is no extra ground on the circuit.

I have all the wiring color codes if you need them.

Hush[/quote/

your right about the lightswitch and the dimmerswitch, i forgot to mention that i have tryed to change the dimmerswitch on the steering column, and have also tryed to change the relays under the dash. and it's the same thing that's happens. hi and lobeam on at the same time. the only way to get hi beam off is if i take the switch too me a few millimeters, and i have to hold it there. but i will try everything you guys says it can be. becaus it's to expensive to have a carshop to do it here in norway. i'm greatful for everything. and sorry for my bad english

You stated that you 'tried' to replace the light switch. Do you mean that you replaced the light switch and it did not help solve the problem? It sounds like you did replace the switch but it did not help. If that is so, and moving the switch towards you works, then you may a have a lead shorted to ground. You can verify that by checking for voltage on the control leads. If you tie the meter common lead to ground and check the voltage on the light control leads you will have no voltage on the lead if the lead is grounded. Since moving the switch towards you clears up the problem with the high beams the problem may be near the switch.

ok first off just out of curiosity where are you at exactly? the city name is not familiar to me so city and country would be helpful

and now to the actual piece

I had a 86 once that had some problems with the relays involving the connectors overheated and such and I tried replacing the light switch and learned that there are 2 different switches one with a white connector and one with a black connector and if you have the wrong one then you have problems with alot of stuff including IIRC having the problem you have mentioned but also to be on the safe side I think the relay with the blue connector behind the fuse panel is the HI-beam relay but I might be wrong but I do know that the connectors are also color coordinated to designate what it's use is for and the black ones are headlights IIRC been awhile but still make sure you have the right Lightswitch first and go from there

Pretty common in the Pull a Part yards in the Seattle area. Figure about $25 from a PAP type yard. If you can´t find one locally, we could help (try XSNRG).

the lever has to be pulled back a little bit to turn off the high beams. i think that it is the switch, but i dont know if ill be able to get a replacement.

k cause with those switches you pull back all the way and it's in a "passing light" mode which is basicaly a momentary switch for the Hi-beams and then if you push forward from the center position over a detent then you have switched it to Hi-beam constant but if your saying if you pull back from the forward position and it doesn't stay there then yeah it needs to be replaced and that is an easy one to find if you have a 87 or newer vehichle they are the same IIRC cause of the lighting switch is on the stalk with the hi-beam switch and turn signal

there is a pap here, but they like to give you random pricing on parts. i wnt to get a spider manifold and was tol that it would only be $50, i get ti the checkout and was told that a completly stripped manifold was going to be 60 and that i had $40 worth of "accessories" on the manifold. some people are dumb.

ok baja i understand that you ask where i'm coming from. i'm mo i rana in norway. far up north and we have 6 months of winther up here whit about 1-1.5 meters of snow and -10 to -25 degree celsius. i hope that was a good answere to you baja. it is like this that we dont have a site like this or a club for old subs. and have a mechanic to fix your car is the same as a ruin for you. so i'm happy to for this site and all you guys:) :)

• 6 months later...