Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, We bought this 93 Impreza sedan for my step-father to drive, and it has an AWD 4EAT. It runs good, but it has 134,000 miles on it. I'd like to change the filter in the trans to be safe, but I've never worked on one before. How hard is it to replace, and what other parts might I need other than just the filter?

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, is it the spin-on filter (mounted on the side)?

Uh, unless I'm missing something there is no such thing. I believe the filter is located in the trans and is accesable by dropping the pan. It should look like this.

J500031431MAM.JPG

Thanks to the folks @ http://www.thepartsbin.com for which I've linked the image temporarily.

Keith

there is no filter on the older cars. Only an internal screen, which is what's shown in the pic. There's no reason to change that, unless your tranny blew up and spewed metal shavings all through it.

On the first gen legacies, there was an add-on filter kit. Not sure if the imprezas had something similar

there is no filter on the older cars. Only an internal screen, which is what's shown in the pic. There's no reason to change that, unless your tranny blew up and spewed metal shavings all through it.

On the first gen legacies, there was an add-on filter kit. Not sure if the imprezas had something similar

Well then. Now that I know that there is just no excuse for not changing the fluid on a regular basis. The "dealer" we bought the car from doesn't deal specifically in Subaru, but he got help starting the buisness from the local dealer ship. He said he changes fluid in the subaru tranyies every third or fourth oil change. If it's a simple as the manuals I'd have to agree. Cheap insurance for something we all know can be problematic.

Thanks,

Keith

On my '91, there was no filter. Subaru issued a recall and added one down low on the left fender area. It looks almost like the fuel filter. About the same size, black, with two hoses attached.

When I went to change mine (filter), the dealer wanted an exhorbitant amount of money for the filter, but the filter, hoses, mounting bracket, etc as a kit was cheap.

I assume the later 1st. generation cars had the filter installed at the factory.

I think '99 was the first year for the spin-on filter on the 4EAT.

FWIW, this seems to be a pretty good inline add-on filter.

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

Ah ha! See I had no idea they had such a thing. I've never even touched a newer automatic. Everything I've always had was stick other than my old FWD GL.

As for that filter, I take it they have lines running to the radiator so just cut one and add that in?

Keith

As for that filter, I take it they have lines running to the radiator so just cut one and add that in?

Yes. You can connect it with barbed fittings into a rubber line or threaded fittings into a metal line. I am thinking of putting one on my Jeep because it only has a screen similar to the early 4EAT.