Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck E-brake on PS caliper

This is on the '84 BRAT. Been having problems with the PS front brake hanging.

No one here will claim responsibility of pulling E-brake handle, but I know I didn't. Only thing I can think of as to why it's stuck on, is that the handle has been pulled.

Had to fix a leaking tire on the PS front, and noticed that the lever on the caliper is forward about a 1/2" from where it should be, cable end is not in it's "normal" position on the lever, sticking out past the lever.

Tried to convince the lever to return to home, but it won't budge. Any ideas on a quick fix, other than swap out caliper. I've tore one of these apart, (on the '86), and don't ever want to do that again, total PITA!!!!

It will still go down the road, but not for to long, as the brake will get hot. So it's not totally locked up, just "on", enough you can feel a slight pulling in the steering wheel. Good thing I only live a 1/2 mile from work.

Any help, thoughts, ideas will be greatly appreciated.

The '84 is an Auto, so no HH. Wish it were that easy though. Had to use the BRAT to go to work yesterday, brake was really dragging after the 2nd stop. Did maybe 10mph, floored. Not good!! Drove home okay, but I did my best not to touch the brake pedal.

Pulled the knuckles out of the '82 to swap in to the '84. No problems there. Did the PS 1st on the '84. Man, what a pain. Everything fought me, both removing old, and installing the "new". But I whooped it. Still need to do DS, but it can wait a day or two. Atleast I have brakes that release now.

What ever the problem is/was, it's in the caliper itself. Like I said in the 1st post, I've tore one of these things apart and put it back together. Total PITA!! Won't ever do that again. Anyways, the E-brake lever on the caliper is stuck, solid! Tried to wedge the caliper off, hoping I could salvage the pads. No go. Lots of good meat still on those pads, would like to save them, but it don't look good at the moment. Will bring bigger perswader(sp?) home from work today, and try it again.

Still got the touch on swapping calipers out though. Did it with out having to bleed the system. Learned that little trick years ago, and can still do it. Gotta love that.