Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One problem fixed, but now I need help with rear brakes...

You may remember a couple of weeks ago I posted about the rear diff pulling free of the torsion bar crossmember on my Brat. Well thanks to Ben's help last weekend I got a nice TB Crossmember from Harry's. Sanded the loose rust off and treated it with some anti-rust crap, painted it with rustoleum over the next two nights. I had the day off of work today so I went to do the swap. I had a hell of a time lineing up some things and had to completely remove the left hub, arm and shock to be able to bang out the one bolt, but eventually everything went back together and my diff is now where it is supposed to be :D:D:D

but... When I went to bleed the left brake (I had to disconnect the line when I pulled everything off) the bleeder screw snapped right off :(

Then when I got it off of the jackstands and backed it up a little, I noticed a huge puddle of fluid under the other wheel:(:(:( I guess when everything was hanging waiting to be reattached, it stretched and ripped the hose:banghead: .

So whats next???

I guess I should get a hole new rear hub assembly since it is fairly rusty all over??? Anybody have a couple laying around???

For the hose, I guess I can get them at Napa, Autozone?? Off to check there now...

I really wanted to drive her tonight:mad:

You can replace the bleeder but that would mean doing a rear brake jobs worth of work. With all the rusted clips and such that you are going to encounter its probably best to move to a disc brake setup for the rear. This will save you a bunch of PITA time in the future as well.

Off to Harry's and get everything from the rear backing plates out to the wheel studs on each side and get the brake line from where its torn--down..making sure to at least be at the 10MM to 10MM junction where the flex hose meets the hard line again.

Donor cars are EA82 powered Turbo 4wd vehicles. Use all the used stuff and make sure your used calipers are good before replacing the disc's or pads would be my tip. It only takes 10 min to go back in and put the pads and discs on after you know the brakes work but they are out of round.