Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2005 Legacy GT Fasten Seatbelt Idiot Removal

It's an easy fix. Save the cops from having to scrape you off the highway and

WEAR YOUR SEATBELT

Yes I am a little touchy on this, I had a friend that died because he wasnt' wearing his, so I am very very anal about it, and I have been known to pull over, or stop in the middle of traffic, to make ppl in my car put their belts on.

Don't forget about the airbag also. If something happened to cause the airbag to deploy and your not belted in you could be in for serious trouble. You have some good safety devices in the car and they need to be used properly. If a person is not restrained properly the airbag can become a real hazard instead of a safety device.

I watched a news segment last night that showed a video segment of a high speed roll over accident. The speed and force of the vehicle was incredible before it finally stopped rolling. It was stated that everyone walked away from the vehicle because they were belted up. If they weren't, bodies would have flown out of this vehicle.

My truck at work has a bell when I don't have my seatbelt on (I hear it when I am driving across the parking lot at like 5MPH...thats the only time I don't wear it)

Buckle the seatbelt, then sit in the seat. Have it behind you. Orrr...get a spare buckle to put in the thinger so it thinks you have it on.

Ok. We all know that using the seat belt is a good think. It saves more lives than not. However, I don't agree with the law that I must wear one or face a ticket. Who came up with that rule some activist and politician who have nothing better to do than infringing into my privacy? If I should choose not to wear it, then no one should tell me otherwise. Not wearing a seatbelt does not put anyone at risk except those who choose not to wear it so why be ticketted? Children are a different story, they should wear one but ease on the booster seat rule.

Ok. We all know that using the seat belt is a good think. It saves more lives than not. However, I don't agree with the law that I must wear one or face a ticket. Who came up with that rule some activist and politician who have nothing better to do than infringing into my privacy? If I should choose not to wear it, then no one should tell me otherwise. Not wearing a seatbelt does not put anyone at risk except those who choose not to wear it so why be ticketted? Children are a different story, they should wear one but ease on the booster seat rule.

I respect your right to your opinion, but you really don't have a good argument there. Wearing your seatbelt isn't a privacy issue. It's a safety (and common sense issue). The seatbelt laws were passed in many states as a way of decreasing the number of injuries and deaths on the highways. There have been a lot of studies done on the issue..some say that the seatbelt laws are effective and some say they may promote hazardous driving.

The bottom line, I think, is that it really only takes a second to click the seatbelt on. If, by chance, it saves you from being ejected from the windshield or ramming your face into the hard plastic of a steering wheel, it was well worth the investment of clicking. I'm in PA and, like a lot of other states, the police will issue a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt only if you're stopped for another infraction. If you're worried about a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt, maybe you should slow down or obey the traffic signs.

If you're injured in a car accident because you didn't wear a seatbelt, should the paramedics come and help you or do you want your privacy? Should the insurance company resepct your privacy and not bother to re-imburse you? Sorry, don't mean to flame...but buckling up really isn't that big a deal.

STOP DISCUSSING THE RIGHTS AND WRONGS OF SEATBELTS!

People, we all have our opinions, idea, and sources of information. A discussion on wearing seatbelts is not for this forum, nor the question that was asked. If you want to argue about please go do it in off topic.

As for the questioned problem I can't help, and it is simply because I don't know and not for personal reasons.

Respecfully,

Keith

I don’t know how to disconnect the seatbelt bell and I’m not sure I would tell anyone if I did… you might go and kill yourself and I’d feel bad, you family wants to sue and all that, blah, blah, blah. Not to mention it’s a VERY BAD IDEA! You had to know this would turn into a seatbelt debate thread, and I’ll through in my two cents as well…

DRIVING IS NOT YOUR RIGHT, it is a privilege granted to you buy the state and is subject to the provisions they deem necessary. Typically I’m not in favor of rules designed to protect people from themselves but this one is a no-brainer, there is just no good excuse not to wear your seatbelt. In fact, if cars contained a properly designed belt system that people faithfully used, all the extra supplemental impact stuff like air bags would not be necessary and new cars would cost thousands less. I was belting in my kids and wearing them myself (lead by example) long before it was the law, because it was smart and responsible.

In the end you can choose not to wear your seatbelt, you can even modify you vehicle so you are not annoyed by the little bell telling you that you are an idiot (not meant as a personal attack), after all it is a free country. But with rights and freedoms comes responsibilities and obligations, so make your choice, but I don’t wanna hear any complaining when its time to pay the price, be that the ticket or your death.

Gary

P.S. if this post is out of place as Keith suggests then mods please move, edit or remove as necessary.

Yes, welcome!.

And wear your damn seatbelt!

If you are alone in the car, I don't really care if someone wears a seatbelt or not.

But.. If you have other people in the car(children or otherwise), those that aren't belted in become a high velocity projectile in the event of an accident.. Anyone in my car with me must always buckle up. Not for their safety, but for mine.

Okay, first off: Thanks for the welcome. This is my 4th Subaru and I'm coming out of an Audi A4.

Secondly: I wasn't asking for opinions on seatbelt use. I always wear mine. I just don't need to be reminded like a 4 year old girl to put it on.

Thirdly: I don't know if this is a new "feature" for 2005, but if it isn't surely there are some of you that would like to axe it as well.

Fourthly: No you can't drive it. It's mine.

nah the dingers have been around for years in fact my 76 has a light on the dash that says fasten your seatbelt every time you turn the ignition on and it's good to hear that you are wearing your belt cause we were thinking you were not

on a side note cause I was about to post this anyways here is a vid nuf said http://media.ebaumsworld.com/noseatbelt.wmv

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you guys have heard this or not....go to LegacyGT.com for more info...lots on it there, but....

to disable the seatbelt chime...

I know this sounds strange, but it works....

1.) turn the key to the on position, but do not start.

2.) as soon as the chimes start from putting the key in(NOT the seatbelt chime), you need to buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt 20 times in 30sec.

3.)Turn the key to the off position but do not remove. Repeat the same previous steps one more time and again back to the off position, now start the car...

this will disable the seat belt chime. It will still give you the initial chime once the car has been started, but will not continue after that...again look on the other website, there is a lot of info on this....

Women who sit too close to the steering wheel are in for one big rude shock too when that airbag deploys, friend of mine had her sternum (Breast Bone) broken early this year from the Driver's airbag in a 40kph (25mph) accident. :eek:

Brad21, I have the ding-a-ling in my MY03 Forester too and it pisses me off too but that is because I forget to buckle up before moving off when in a hurry, so if it reminds you just once too often and saves your life then it has it's job for both you and Subaru's reputation as a safe vehicle.

If you are moving the car around a yard or depot then put the pasengers seat belt in the drivers slot and stop the ding-a-ling, however, I strongly urge and recommend you not to do this on the road.

IMHO the seat belt laws are there so that someone doesn't have to drive by and see you splattered all over the highway.. A simple way to bypass the dinger would be to... well... I think you can figure it out...

And no these aren't new, in fact, I Think it was 73 Subarus would not start unless the seatbelts were buckled, in fact, there was a switch in each front seat, and the "Seat occupied" switch had to close BEFORE the "seatbelt buckled" switch closed, or teh car would not start (to prevent people from just buckling the belts and throwing them behind the seat) They eventually did away with it, but I think that it was because they had problems with it, rather than people were annoyed with it.

And the reason I make people wear their belts in my car, is so that if I do get in a wreck and they die, I don't have to live with it for the rest of my life that someone died in my car because I didn't make them buckle their belt. (I've been known to stop in the middle of traffic until a passenger buckles up!)

If you always wear your seatbelt, then you don't need the chime. But by all means let's expand the discussion to paternalism, maybe throw in 1st Amendment discussions, 2nd Amendment shouldn't be far behind, etc. I really don't care if someone is so dumb that they don't want to wear a motorcycle helmet, or a seatbelt - I just don't want to pay for the emergency or road crews who have to come out and scrape their brains off the pavement.

But if you do a search on www.legacygt.com. there is a thread that details what to do. The number of times reported varies from 3 in 15 seconds on up. I can't seem to

I find this very interesting:

Okay, I've had my car a little over a week. Sometimes I like to live dangerously and drive without my seatbelt fastened. Does anyone know where the fuse is to get rid of the annoying reminder bell?
and then

I wasn't asking for opinions on seatbelt use. I always wear mine. I just don't need to be reminded like a 4 year old girl to put it on.