Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust help

Hey everyone,

I need a new exhaust for my '87 4WD Hatchback and am having problems locating a place that carries it. Everyone I have talked to tells me that it is not available. I need the resonator pipe and the muffler assembly. I don't want to get it from Subaru unless I have no other choice since it will be high dollar. Does anyone have any suggestions on who may have an exhaust for this car? Thanks!

Best thing would be to take it to an exhaust shop and have one made for you.

I can't think of a single car I have ever actually bought an 'off the shelf' exhaust system for.

For everything from the Y pipe back shouldn't run more than $250-$275

If you only need part of it, it should be a darn sight less.

If the piece you need is a fairly straight piece, go to pep boys and buy some pipe and some clamps and do it yourself for $15-$20

Hey, thanks for your help. I love these cars, but the exhausts on them are so expensive. The problem I have with my exhaust right now is that the pipes have rotted off right at the flanges, and the pipe has rotted off right where it connects to the muffler. I have fixed it temporarily with some exhaust adapters, but I need it replaced before emissions inspection. The last exhaust that was put on it was only about 2 years ago. So it didn't last very long. Thanks again for your help!

OK, guys. I have found a few places that can get that intermediate resonator pipe and muffler, but the prices are just astronomical. They want $200 just for that intermediate pipe that connects the cat to the muffler! That's just insane. The price on the muffler is outrageous too. Do I have no choice but to pay this or do you guys have a cheaper route to take? How much do you guys usually have in replacing the exhaust when it goes bad? Somebody said to take it to a muffler shop and have them make an exhaust for it. I went to Car-X and asked about that and they looked at me like I was crazy. They said they can't make an exhaust with all the brackets necessary to mount to the car's rubber hangers. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

For one thing - just eliminate the resonator completely.

What I would do, is find a friendly welder, pop open the cat - gut it - weld it back up and put it's dust cover back on so you can't tell it's been modified. Now - install a cheap cat in place of the "resonator" (which is really just a fancy name for a sort of muffler - it's not emmissions related). You can pick up cheap "turbo" cat's on ebay for less than $50.

Oh - and when you go to open up the cat - use a die grinder, not a torch. It's stainless steel, and a torch job won't be pretty at all. It does weld real nice tho.

And for the record...... NO - I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS....... :grin:

And them saying they can't "make" an exaust is just stupid - go to a small muffler shop, or better yet - make friends with someone who has a small MIG setup. Any small welder will do the job. They haven't got a clue what they are doing if they claim they "can't" do something. With a welder, torch, and die grinder, you can do anything.

A good exhaust shop should be able to do a COMPLETE exhaust system (engine to muffler) for $400 - $500 depending on what cat and muffler brands you go with.

GD

My 83 has the same exhaust problem that you describe, i.e. rotted off at the flange. Here is what I'm doing about it. Went to the JY and snagged a flex pipe in good shape from a hatch. Hacked off the flange, bought an 8' section of 2" exhaust pipe from my local parts plus store (Westbay, for those out here). Won't need much bending, so I'm have the bending done by a friend who happens to own a press with the attachment dohickeys to bend exhaust pipe. Then I'll have the hangers welded on. As for the mufflers, well I got those for free from my local Harley custom shop. When I'm done, there'll be a pair of chrome harley mufflers hanging out from under my bumper. :brow: