Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Correct OEM alloys for an 89 GL10?

Anyone happen to know what alloy style(s) originally came on the 89 GL10's?

Mine happens to be a Turbo Touring Wagon. I don't know if it had alloys originally. It came with hubcaps from prior owner.

I want to keep it as close to stock as possible since it is such a rare car. The only thing not original is the 4wd D/R 5speed (originally 2wd AT).

Can't hardly blame me for doing that upgrade...

thanks, John

Arch:

I'm certainly no expert, but I'm told there were only a handful of T-Wags sold in the US . The GL-10 models are especially rare.

Too bad about the H-styles. I have a set, and would like to have used them on this car.

I don't want to get too anal about this, but I would like to run an alloy style used in 89.

John

Good stuff Corky...

I'm going to shoot for the "Motion" or "Rally" style for my car. I do own a set of the "Premiers", but I don't like them as much. They are painted (vs polished) aluminum.

GD:

They're pretty rare in the midwest - in any condition. Mine is in VGC with little rust, and is easily the best Sube in my collection. Consider yourself lucky to be in an area where they are abundant and inexpensive.

Thanks guys, John

ya, i have a set of the motion wheels, i tookoff the hub caps, and put chrome acorns on, and stuck some chrome ea82 center caps off of wagon wheels on. those are about the coolest wheels subaru made, for us, i think. not tryin to knock your subaru, just wonderin, what you thought was rare about it. i remember the first time i saw a touring wagon, i thought it was a toyota or somehing for a split second =]

ya, i have a set of the motion wheels, i tookoff the hub caps, and put chrome acorns on, and stuck some chrome ea82 center caps off of wagon wheels on. those are about the coolest wheels subaru made, for us, i think. not tryin to knock your subaru, just wonderin, what you thought was rare about it. i remember the first time i saw a touring wagon, i thought it was a toyota or somehing for a split second =]

Arch:

The only thing I can think of that would make those more plentiful on the west coast is that you are in closer proximity to Japan and Austrelia (the markets they were apparently intended for).

Mine came from Colorado originally, and that probably explains the lack of rust. I had never seen one in person before I bought it, nor seen one since.

I have not ran the VIN #, or researched production figures, and I have no idea how many were sold. But most of the Sube derelicts I've talked to (on this Board, Sube dealer etc) seem to think its a rare car. Maybe it's the GL-10 trim line that makes it rare.

You've got me curious now. I'll have to dig a little further...

John

And here I thought all the GL10 Wagons had the sun/moonroof? Is that bump-up on the roof why they call it a Touring Wagon? First picture I've ever seen of one. There are only a couple of other 80's wagons that I have seen in my area. One seden and have not seen ANY XTs lately (5 years).

XT Fan, if you look closely, you can see the sun/moon roof on the touring wagon.

That's interesting. My T-Wag does not have the sun roof. Didn't have the alloys either, but has all of the other usual GL-10 goodies.

Wonder if those extra items were standard equip on the Turbo AWD models? (Mine was originally a 2wd A/T model).

John

Rare means things to different people. Anytime you put something out there is rare, you are going to have people disagree unless there are only 5 of them in the world. I used to consider my 84 Turbo Coupes to be rare, until everyone on the board bought them. Now I consider only the turbo BRATs to be rare. (But we still see a few of those in the wrecking yards, don't we? ) I consider my Subaru convertible rare, but there is one for sale in the marketplace right now.

I have never seen a Touring Wagon with a Sunroof, and if indeed it did have a the sunroof, I think that would be kind of rare, I sure would like to own one. The fact is that it is rust free, in a area where there are not many rust free Subarus, that makes it hard to find or desirable, but not in the rare catagory.

BTW: The Premier came from the factory on the XTs. I know there are other vehicles out there with them on, but they might have been dealer installed. The Rallys look the best in my opinion.

The touring wagons didnt come with sunroofs, at least the power sliding ones, because the raised rear roof doesnt provide room for the hardware. It's possible they could have pop-up types, but I've seen 2 touring wagons around here, neither had sunroofs. And one was a loyale strangely enough.

Well, I wrote to Subaru of America, and this was their response:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your support of

Subaru products! We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately our production figures for that model year include all

Leone/Loyale models combined, and the information you are requesting is

not available to us.

We're sorry that we cannot provide the requested information, but

thanks for the opportunity to be of service.

Best Wishes,

Natalie Cox

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer Dealer Services

E-Contact Group

Kinda surprised they don't have this information readily available.

So I guess the debate on whether the GL-10 Turbo T-Wags are truly "rare" or not, will have to continue...

John