Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Works?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has replaced their:

1. Purge Control Solenoid

2. EGR Solenoid

3. Idle Air Control Valve

4. Thermosensor (sends signal to ECM - not the water temp sending unit to guage); and/or

5. Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

What I'd be interested to hear are any observations about what good things happened or didn't happen when you replaced it, and any tips or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

why would you be replaceing them? is there a problem you are looking to address?

they are simple items to change but its the old saying if it aint broke dont fix it.

Rallyruss-

Good point. I've been showing codes 34 and 35 (egr and purge solenoids) for a while. I'll be cleaning the connections and futzing around with my multimeter one of these days to try to see if the solenoids are really shot.

This is more of a long-term thing. I'm (perhaps mistakenly) assuming that all these electrical parts will eventually crap out. For anyone who has:

a. Confirmed that one of these solenoid/senders was actually dead; and

b. Replaced it with a known good one...

I'm interested to know if any of these sensors, when replaced, result in clearly improved engine performance, or if it's one of those exercises in futility.

My ECU was throwing a code 35, if'n I remember the code right, and I replaced my PCS. It was extremely easy to swap out, cheap (picked it up from a junkyard). Resistance 'cross the terminals was supposed to be 31.9 - 39.9 ohms, and I was getting 60+.

Performance-wise... it idles a lot better now, and I believe the gas mileage improved. Beyond that, not much.

On the bright side, that d**n check engine light went off. Annoyance.

i have had the most luck with the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, on 3 cars it made a big improvement

Miles-

Thanks. Are you talking cleaning electrical contacts? Removing the TPS and replacing with J/Y version? Remove replace with new OEM? And positioning of the TPS on installation is important right?

Bill