Ultimate Subaru Message Board

install beats mounting help

ok so I am installing a bit of a system in my gl10 wagon. I need some ideas on how to mount the speakers in the rear. I dont want any boxes taking up all the space in the rear. I am thinking the rear side pockets would work nicely. Oh the subs are 8" JL audio. the rear pockets are 13" by 13". I was thinking about a wood or steel plate in the pocet mounting locations with the subs mounted facing into the pannel. I hear this actually makes use of the car body like a box.

any one try any thing like this?

oh in the front and rear doors I am using the existing infinity component speakers but will be hooking them to the amp(JBL 6way)

I will be getting a new alpine head unit as soon as I get some $$$ saved. for now I am using the clarion unit thats in the car.

help thoughts insults what ever.

and no I will not be sitting at lights with my widows down advertising just how much noise I can make. I just want a good clean souding system.

Personally, I'd fiberglass the insides of those pockets before I mounted a sub in them. You have much the same idea I do, although I will be cutting out one of those pockets and mounting a box inside of it. That way, the box is tuned correctly and, since I will be covering it in grey vinyl, it will look relatively factory and like it belongs there.

i got a pair of 8's under the front SEATS. i used some thick foam type padding around the circumfrence mounted with screws and duct tape. it's not so loud, but it does fill in the sound spectrum and you can feel the bass in your 'nus

Another thing that comes in handy if you are gonna have some bass, would be an amp cut-off switch use the remote/ power antenna wire off the radio as your supply for the switch, then from the acc on the switch run your remote wire to the amp, and then ground the switch. the good thing about this setup is if you leave the amp switch on and turn off the car it will go off with the radio instead of staying on all night and draining your battery.

You'll be suprised after bumping for a few months how often you switch the subs off. I know I sure use mine alot, cause sometimes the bumps will get on your nerves or if you have a headache you will notice your head pounds hard enough and you don't need to speakers to help it out.

unless they are freeair subs (dont think jl makes them), they will shake stuff, but you wont get much, or good sound. guaranteed. subs also make no difference facing in or out. they will also only sound as good as the amp you use. Im with samo for cutting out the square and stuffing a box in there. those subs probably need 0.5 cu.ft or less per sub for a sealed box (check specs, it depends what model w0, w3 etc)

a 13x13x8.5 box made from MDF, will yield about 0.53 cu.ft, which will probably be plenty. they may stick out a tad, but wont go past the inner fender wells, still leaving you a nice square area to put stuff

go to jl's site. its very informative and offers awesome box building tips

hope this helps

cool thanks guys. I think I will work on the subs facing into the pannel set up with MDF. I definately plan on cutting out the inside of the compartment. the amp seems to be a decent one and its designed for the type of system I am building. the last guy just used it to drive three 8 inch subs in a single box. kind of a waste for this type of amp. his current system is all bass and two little 6" 3ways off the deck. it just hurts to sit in his car.

whats up with the dynamat sticky stuff? where should it be used idealy? I just removed a system from a junk car and it had the stuff around the speakers mounting area.

dynamat is sound insulation. i dynamatted the trunk of my cavalier, and it made my subs sound much louder. it also keeps the buzzing down when the deep bass kicks in. dynamat brand can be a bit pricey, but ill recommend it to anyone. you can buy trunk kits which have sheets of the orginal dynamat and dynamat extreme, individual speaker kits, liscense plate holders, or sometimes you can buy it in bulk (check out car audio shops). they also make a spray type which is good for around the fenders and other shapes that are hard to mold the rubber around.

ok thats good info.

so say I plan on using the inside of the rear pannel as my "box" it may be a good idea to line it with dynamat stuff?

I am going for the least amount of cargo space loss and most sound.

nutt7 thanks for the tips. I went to JLs site and got myself fully confused. actually there was some good stuff there.;)

the foam padding stuff i mentioned with my speakers i used to line the inner metal of the car when i had the interior panels out. im not sure where to find it, but its the same type pf foam that some swimming toys at walmaty are made of, the "fun noodle" type foam, it comes in big rolls.

some of my insulation is regular carpet padding, im sure you could find some readily available, use it where moisture wont be a problem

line the inside of the tailgate and anywhere you can all over the car, i can actually hear my stero over my loud exhaust with the windows up!