Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Oil Pressure

• 5 months later...
When I'm driving, mostly on the freeway doing 65-70 or so, my oil pressure guage is sky high... to the red notch at 75 PSI alot. It chills out when I idle, or slow down to in city speeds. Is this normal? Safe?

I have the exact same problem in my '84 wagon. I drove it from Idaho to TX that way and it didn't blow up.

Have any of you had a catastrophic event as a result of maxed out oil pressure?

my 80 1800 auto gl sedan has the same problem and its had 4 sending units put on it in the past 2 years its oil pressure at idle is 26psi and about 80psi at 3500rpm with a manual gauge so the sending unit and dash are right seeing as i didn't drive it right now its ok but when it becomes the daily driver aging it will get changed.

my 80 1800 auto gl sedan has the same problem and its had 4 sending units put on it in the past 2 years its oil pressure at idle is 26psi and about 80psi at 3500rpm with a manual gauge so the sending unit and dash are right seeing as i didn't drive it right now its ok but when it becomes the daily driver aging it will get changed.

What exactly are you going to change? Oil pump? Just the seals? Sending Unit?

I put a new sending unit it mine a few months ago and got the same readings. It seems if the oil pump seals were bad I would be getting low readings instead of high. Is this a valid assumption?

What exactly are you going to change? Oil pump? Just the seals? Sending Unit?

I put a new sending unit it mine a few months ago and got the same readings. It seems if the oil pump seals were bad I would be getting low readings instead of high. Is this a valid assumption?

Correct; and you might even develop a ticking in your hydro-lifters.

Higher pressure would indicate a restriction somewhere.