Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Cruise Control problem

CC is on an '84 GL SW, carbed 4-speed, D/R.

Not sure this is vacuum related, electrical or both. Here's the deal: Go to set cruise and more often that not it engages for a couple seconds then drops off. If I try to set it again, nada. If I leave the CC switch on, it may kick back on for a few seconds at some point or another down the road as if infested by ghosts. Sometimes it engages but won't set at the speed. Just keeps on going, pedal to the metal, until I turn the switch off about 6 inches from some guy's rear bumper. Resume and coast don't work at all in any situation.

Not even sure where the computer is located.

Any assistance rendered would be appreciated!

In my experience of working on "other makes" of vehicles, a vacuum leak would be the 1st thing to rule out. Any leak would basically keep it from working, and for sure wouldn't cause it to be so erratic.

Best guess would be something amiss in the control switch and/or it's wiring, as in a shorting of juice across the circuits there in. Would look there first, then start checking the rest of the system out. The speed sensor could be culprit, but they usually just plain die.

No clue as to locale of control unit really, but thinking it's under the dash to the right of the steering column, above where the ECU is/would be. Think I read that somewhere.

Time to check the FSM on where that little buggar is.

I have the FSM but no mention of the cruise control in it.

Best guess would be something amiss in the control switch and/or it's wiring, as in a shorting of juice across the circuits there in. Would look there first, then start checking the rest of the system out. The speed sensor could be culprit, but they usually just plain die.

No clue as to locale of control unit really, but thinking it's under the dash to the right of the steering column, above where the ECU is/would be. Think I read that somewhere.

I'll check there. Also, I'm pretty sure the "soup can" with the other thing attached to it, attached in the engine compartment to the firewall on the passenger side, has something to do with the cruise control.

• 1 month later...

HELP!!!!

My local junkyard just towed in an '84 GL Wagon. It has cruise control and if I can find the magic box, I can swap it and perhaps solve my problem.

Where is the CC brain on this vehicle?

Only difference between it and mine is my CC button is green and to the lower right of the steering wheel. The CC button on the jy GL is on the column.

Thanks!