Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heat shield (exhaust) rattling solutions?

Has anyone figured out a way to stop the heat shields wrapped around all the forward exhaust pipes from rattling? My car is sounding like a real turd! All the factory tack welds seem to have failed. I tried to put some new tack welds on but the fix wasn't satisfactory, probably because I didn't have access to clean the metal well.

Has anyone figured out a way to stop the heat shields wrapped around all the forward exhaust pipes from rattling? My car is sounding like a real turd! All the factory tack welds seem to have failed. I tried to put some new tack welds on but the fix wasn't satisfactory, probably because I didn't have access to clean the metal well.

Wow that's so easy I have your answer: yank them off. Or have your dealer do so if you are not inclined. I removed a heat shield from my 93 6 years ago and just had the dealer remove a few from my 2000.

You can:

1) Cut them off. I personally don't like this approach. They are there for a reason.

2) Use worm gear clamps. Wrap around them and tighten them down. I've done this successfully (on non-subaru cars) in the past.

3) Some have recommended stuffing (stainless) steel wool in between the sheild and the pipe. Can work. May not be too permanent though.

4) Turn up the radio. :lol:

5) Replace them. But I don't think this is an option for the ones you speak of.

6) ????

Some ideas for you.

Commuter

• Like 1

You can:

1) Cut them off. I personally don't like this approach. They are there for a reason.

2) Use worm gear clamps. Wrap around them and tighten them down. I've done this successfully (on non-subaru cars) in the past.

3) Some have recommended stuffing (stainless) steel wool in between the sheild and the pipe. Can work. May not be too permanent though.

4) Turn up the radio. :lol:

5) Replace them. But I don't think this is an option for the ones you speak of.

6) ????

Some ideas for you.

Commuter

what's the reason? i try not to park on hay but have never had a problem.

I think I was the one that suggested using steelwool as an option, or at least I had the idea. But what I ended up using was 3 inch carpenter nails pounded and wedged in between the shields and exhaust pipe. Its been a few years since I did it (96 OBW) and no returning rattles.

I think I did have to use a worm clamp also on the shield just forward of the rear cat as for some reason I couldn't get a nail in there.

Anyway, thats what worked for me.

Good Luck

I have used stainless screws, similar to the previous nail idea, on two different Legacy wagons. I place them at the seam of the second shield and use screws long enough that the heads press against the first shields. They stay in and take the noise away. Bert

Just today I was underneath my '90 Legacy wagon.....I came to the conclusion that the heat shields are a good idea (1) you'd need to do some cutting to get them all off (2) they are located very close to some items that I wouldn't want to get to hot (3) in several spots I have put dings in my heat sheilds that had probably saved me from a busted pipe.

I just tapped all along the length with a rubber mallet. I only found one area with play...I drove a 3" nail in the seam and voila, no more ratte.

Stainless screw clamps seem to be the best solution. To use them in place of rusted out factory clamps, snip off the mounting "ears" on the shields. I only needed to do one so far. Also bought a spool of stainless wire but haven't tried it.

• 8 months later...

I had really bad rattle on my '90 Leg wagon, and we put some clamps on it. Rattles came back, tightened clamps all the way, rattles came back. Pryed on it with a screwdriver a bit rattle lessened for a week then came back.

Has anyone come up with another way to remedy this in the time since the last post? I think Im about to get some Nails/screws.

-Matt

One other solution I tried last summer. Drill holes into the sheilds near the junctions. Screw in metal screws (the point of which I had previously dulled on my bench grinder) till they exert some pressure on the exhaust (inside) pipe. When you buy the metal screws the appropriate size hole to be drilled is written on the package. Pipes had been silent for months but part of the noise came back recently. Had a look and a couple of screws seem to have loosened and fell off cause of the vibrations.

I think the absolute fix would be those screws + a dab of high temp epoxy or + a spot weld to freeze them in place.

One other solution I tried last summer. Drill holes into the sheilds near the junctions. Screw in metal screws (the point of which I had previously dulled on my bench grinder) till they exert some pressure on the exhaust (inside) pipe. When you buy the metal screws the appropriate size hole to be drilled is written on the package. Pipes had been silent for months but part of the noise came back recently. Had a look and a couple of screws seem to have loosened and fell off cause of the vibrations.

I think the absolute fix would be those screws + a dab of high temp epoxy or + a spot weld to freeze them in place.

So.........every couple of months it seems they came undone somewhere else. a lot of worm clamps yet still loose and rattling.

Last winter the main problem solved itself, (almost). came off and I dragged it for most of the day, the long one.....when I backed up it kind of rolled itself into a little ball and I yanked off the remains.

Car hasn't burned up yet, and if it does, it's insured.............

swi66

Here's something that might help. I've used it on mine and in conjunction with worm gear (radiator) clamps, seems to be working great!

Do this when the system is cold and you won't need to go anywhere for at least 24 hours: Use the clamps to secure the shields to the pipes. The rattles are usually a result of the shields rattling against the cat or some other large surface area place, so.... get some high temp RTV, it's usually orange. Make sure there's a gap between the shield and whatever it's shielding and squirt a wad of RTV into the gap. You don't want to use too much but enough to provide a flexible spacer/bumper between the two. Usually a couple of spots about the size of a dime or so will do. Give it at least 24 hours to cure and make a test drive. This should get rid of most of your rattling. You may find that the clamps will loosen over time due to expansion/contraction. If you're familiar with safety wire and the clamps are the type with the slot for a screwdriver in the head, you can eliminate that, too.

If you've ever worked on F-4s you know the engine bays were full of the orange RTV and safety wire!! Ahhh, the things we can learn and adapt to other uses. LOL

Keep the shields on, especially if you drive offroad much. They'll do some to help protect those components. But, more importantly, they keep combustibles away from hot surfaces.

Hey folks, right on getting this problem out there. I have an '01 OB wagon (love that car) that I have shoved enough piston ring pieces into the shields that its probably the rings that are rattling now. My shields seem to be bolt ons, it seems that they are rattling somewhere in the middle of the shield, I probably have that wrong though. Is the nail still the low tech solution for this model? Seems like buying new shields you will have the same problem in no time.

Thanks

Is the nail still the low tech solution for this model? Seems like buying new shields you will have the same problem in no time.

As funny as it sounds, I've used the nail technique for several years now with great success on my 96 OBW. I did have to add 1 or 2 more in the last year or so, but the original nails have stayed putt and kept those initial rattles silent.

• 2 weeks later...

Nails!!!!???? So close to the tires?? I hope I never happen to be following you guys with nails falling off your cars!!

I have the rattles, too. The screw into the heat shield is a great idea, maybe put a spacer on the top side. Gonna give it a shot.