Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy and Impreza Keyless Entry-Broken Remotes

Hi all,

I've got a 1996 Legacy and a 1993 Impreza which both have the older Subaru keyless entry system that was made by Code Alarm. The remote fobs are the squarish, black two-button variety. The loops on all the fobs that hold them onto the keyring have now broken off. They're just thin plastic with no metal reinforcement. Does anyone know of a stronger keyless remote fob that is compatible with this system and where I can get it? If I order new remotes from the dealer at exorbitant prices, they'll be of the same style, and I'd like to avoid this flimsy design again if possible.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dealer told be the remotes for my OBW are $50 each, and Autozone told me the aftermarket replacment cost $50, also. Perhaps Autozone or Adv. Auto Parts (or something like that) would have more durable ones, but I doubt they would be any cheaper.

Hi all,

I've got a 1996 Legacy and a 1993 Impreza which both have the older Subaru keyless entry system that was made by Code Alarm. The remote fobs are the squarish, black two-button variety. The loops on all the fobs that hold them onto the keyring have now broken off. They're just thin plastic with no metal reinforcement. Does anyone know of a stronger keyless remote fob that is compatible with this system and where I can get it? If I order new remotes from the dealer at exorbitant prices, they'll be of the same style, and I'd like to avoid this flimsy design again if possible.

Thanks,

Andrew

There is a gentleman on eBay selling just the cases (with buttons) and a new battery. You just lift out the circuit board from your remote and put it in the new case. You can use the BUY IT NOW feature on eBay or contact him directly. I'll see if I can dig up additional information for you.

The new case will not say SUBARU but CODE ALARM.

~Howard

:)

• 5 months later...

Dredging up an old post.

My GT came with the standard subaru remote locking feature, but the control module has been unplugged, and the remote that came with it is crushed and pretty beat up.

There are a bunch of auctions on ebay for Subaru remote fobs, can I buy them and use them with my car?

Is there any programming that needs to be done?

Theoretically I should be able to plug the module back in and be good to go, right?

Here is a link for a place that just sells the CASES. You remove the electronics from the old remote and put them into the new case. NO REPROGRAMMING NEEDED! :lol: Not that reprogramming is any big deal but it makes life simple.

I had another link for a place that was a bit cheaper and included a battery but I can't find it.

~Howard

:)