Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback Limited vs. 2002 Outback

Ok, here's the deal, I'm trying to decide between these two cars and can't seem to pull the trigger. So, I thought if there was ever a place to help me it would be here because I trust your opinions and I like feedback with experienced folks. With that said, I found a 2000 Outback Limited wagon with 55,000 miles on it for $12,500. I also found a 2002 Outback wagon, not limited with 59,000 miles on it for $13,000. Both of the cars are in good condition with good tires. So, which car do you think would be the better deal? What are the benifits of getting a 2002 over a 2000 model? Do the 2002's have less engine problems compared to the 2000 models? At first, I thought that 59k miles on a 2002 was a lot, but that price is attractive. Also, the 2002 comes with a 1000 mile warranty while the 2000 does not have any warranty. I need to make a decision real quick, but I would really appreciate your advice first. Thanks a lot for your time!

I don't know the differences in the trim levels. You would have to decide for yourself what the value of the "Limited" features are.

At some point (supposedly), Subaru made a change to the Phase II head gasket to address the leaking problem. Again, I don't know what year that was done. But the newer, the better.

I've read that the 2000's (only) have a smaller front rotor. They quickly found out that it was not enough for the Outbacks and upsized in 2001. One reason to go with the newer vehicle.

Newer vehicle, less depreciation, even with the higher (per year) milage. It might mean something a few years from now if you are looking to deal it or sell it.

2000 was the first year of the model run. There are always some teething pains. (ie the front brakes)

Unless there are features on the Limited that you really can't be without, I'd say go for the 2002.

Commuter

I think in '03 they re-revised the headgaskets, but I'm not positive.

The '02 will have bigger front brakes like commuter mentioned, it also has the in-glass radio ant., 2 trip odometers, a outside temp gauge, and the cool delay off dome light (yea little stuff).

I believe the Limited comes with a sunroof, cold weather package, and I believe the side airbags.

It's a close call, but seeing the price and mileage about the same, having a car that's two years newer is a definite plus.