Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Redrilling to 6 lug, how to? (Attn Qman)

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Ok I want to figure this out in advance before I finally take on the project. My wheel studs are on order and I havn't pulled my rear disk brake conversion yet. But I am wondering... do you just remove 2 studs, fit on the wheel and tighten it on, then mark the 4 holes and drill them on a simple drill press? Or do they need to be tapered in some way (like reamed out?)

I know you did this on your Brat Ken, so I know you will have helpful feedback for me.

I am hoping for the "just a drill press" response, but I want to do it right, so thats why I ask.

This is being done on and 82 brat with a rear disk brake conversion

Guest bushbasher

you've got it pretty much right on. To get the studs in after you've drilled the holes, just keep turning the lug nuts until the splines on the studs get pulled in and seated in the holes.

Guest tomrhere

As stated. Thinking that you use a 14mm drill bit, but could be wrong there. Best to draw new studs into hub by putting lug nut on backwards, (taper out), and place a flat washer between nut and hub. Also best to re-tighten new studs every 100 miles or so for awhile. Just to make sure that they are properly seated. Scott's site, subarubrat.com has a decent write up about this.......Tom

The drilling part is the easiest part. You will find that to get the studs to seat you have to grind or spotface the back side of the hub. Do this too agressively and you'll get vibrations. Not enough and they wont seat right. You'll understand when you lay out the holes.

Good luck!

Qman

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Hmmm thanks, but I am making my hubs 6 lug to fit wheels, not making wheels into 4 lug to fit my hubs. Thanks for the input though :D