Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Repair Manual for '99+ Models?

Although I've done a fairly exhaustive internet search, I can't find a Chilton/Haynes repair manual for my '99 Legacy Outback. It seems they stopped making the "Do-It-Yourself" manuals for post '98 models. I can find a "Professional" repair manual for '99+ imports, but it covers more makes/models than I need. I'd like to find out recomended maintenance schedules/procedures for changing ATF, Diff oil, brakes, etcetera, plus more in-depth info about the car in general just so I can be better informed about a repair when I have a dealer do the work. Thanks!

I have a Haynes Legacy manual for 1990-1998 and the 1999 vehicle is virtuially identical. I even use it for my 2000 Forester for the engine/transmission. You can also buy (piece meal) sections of the factory service manual at about 50 dollars a section. You can download the complete factory manual for 20 bucks. The download time is limited and if you have dialup it's tough but, another option. ed

I found a 99 specific factory CD disc on ebay for about $20. It covers the entire subaru lineup for that year which includes both DOHC and SOHC engines and more info than you could imagine. I initially thought it wasn't that much, as the disc isn't even full! If you start printing it all, you end up with a foot high stack of paper in short order. and much more to go! Very nice to use.

• 1 month later...

Your note says that a complete factory manual is available for download for 20 bucks... I have a need for a manual and like the idea of an online manual... I have a 2000 Legacy GT with a MIL light 'on' indicating that an (P1133) Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit High Input (Bank 1 Sensor 1) is the problem... Would appreciate a link to where I can download the manual... Thanks

I have a Haynes Legacy manual for 1990-1998 and the 1999 vehicle is virtuially identical. I even use it for my 2000 Forester for the engine/transmission. You can also buy (piece meal) sections of the factory service manual at about 50 dollars a section. You can download the complete factory manual for 20 bucks. The download time is limited and if you have dialup it's tough but, another option. ed

• 2 weeks later...