Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 cam questions, are they different?

Guest Ratty2Subaru

Guest Ratty2Subaru

does anyone know if the cams are different between the carbed ea82, the spfi, mpfi, and turbos??? I need to know before I put this carbed cam on an spfi motor! (drivers side only!)

thanks!

Guest Flowmastered87GL

hmmmm I wonder what that cam richie gave me came off of (for my 86 turbowagon) It worked whatever it was off of :lol:

Guest GeneralDisorder

Didn't the SPFI have higher compression? I'm guessing it will work, but it may not produce peak HP. You probably won't notice much difference. One side of the engine will be leaner, or richer than the other side, so it may be hard to tune properly. If you tune for one the other will not be correct. There may be a happy medium where both will run decent, but it won't be perfect for either.

GD

Guest OH Noah

I would NOT advise running two different cams, nor would I advise using carb cams on an SPFI engine.

The SPFI engines use a very different ignition timing curve than the carb ones. I believe that that is partially due to different cam timing/profiles. I'd be very interested to know the actual specs for each of the EA82 cams.

Guest GlCraigGT

Here are the snapshots that I was able to get.

The first is the basic engine specs which include the cam timing, the second is the lobe heights along with how to ID the different cams. It turns out that CARB and Turbo use the same cam. This info is from a 86 FSM

<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~c.moe/cam1.jpg" target="top">home.comcast.net/~c.moe/cam1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~c.moe/cam2.jpg" target="top">home.comcast.net/~c.moe/cam2.jpg</a>

Guest ccrinc

Most importantly, you can't swap from a drivers side cam to a passenger cam: they're different!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The left cam has a gear-end that meshes with the distributor. The right cam is shorter and has no such part.

Technically, yes, the carb and turbo cams are the same, SPFI and MPFI are the same. But believe me, you can swap back and forth between them all with no problems. And you'll never be able to tell the difference either.

But left to right or right to left...ain't happenin' :cool: \

Emily

www.ccrengines.com

Guest Ratty2Subaru

well, it was obvious to me that i couldnt switch sides... :lol:

i ended up just using the old one that was from the motor...

thanks for the info!