Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got rear-ended

Stop & go traffic....

Guy behind me falls asleep at the wheel....

I was at a full stop and he hit me at 25mph "I just fell asleep" he says!

Now I have a giant Jeep SUV bumper print across the back of my car. Smashed rear hatch door, smashed bumper, door jamb bent, smashed tail lights, and the driver seat back won't adjust (just flops around).

The guy wanted some sympathy because his car was brand new and cost him $48K. Then starts to imply that my car must have had previous damage, he could not have done all that. What a jerk.

It took three months to find this configuration in good shape and a good price (83 or 84 GL wagon, D/R 4WD).

Stiff back, but his insurance has already accepted full liability and provided a rental. I was surprised how much zip those 2005 Ford Focus' have. My wife likes the rental better, but it won't survive the jeep trails, so it is no good to me.

Archery elk season starts in three weeks, and I don't have time to settle this and find another car, so I hope they decide to repair it.

gosh, that almost happened to me this morning as well. I swear, all SUVs should be taken off the road. they are unsafe and from what i see the cause of most accidents not involving alcohol. almost every crash i see here involves a stupid soccermomtank. SUV - Subaru-unearthing vehicles is more like it.

gosh, that almost happened to me this morning as well. I swear, all SUVs should be taken off the road. they are unsafe and from what i see the cause of most accidents not involving alcohol. almost every crash i see here involves a stupid soccermomtank. SUV - Subaru-unearthing vehicles is more like it.

What??.....:rolleyes: A collision occured because some guy falls asleep at the wheel and you start talking about SUVs being at fault......

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I can guarantee that the insurance company will "total" the car. But you can buy it back and repair it if you like. Like Rick says, there are lots of rear clips in the yards. Only downside is the time, aggravation, and salvage title that you'll get. Good luck with it. I got rear ended at very low speed (minimal damage to the car) and I'm still seeing a chiropractor for my neck.

I can almost promise they will total it also. A lady turned in front of my newer 87 GL and I couldnt stop and hit her at like 10 MPH or so... all I had to do to fix it was kick the fender and replace the bumper, cost me $30 or so to fix, but the insurance estimated the damage at 12-1500 and totaled the car out. I bought it back for $50 or so :lol: So I got a salvage title, and a profit of like $700. Sure the title is branded, but I plan to run the car up to around 400K at which point it will be worthless regardless of title.

I'm soooooo sorry! Glad you are 'mostly' OK. That happened to me a few months back and my XT frame was crumpled from the front and from the rear. The Lady that fell asleep behind me pushed me into the car in front. We too were sitting at a red light. Unfortunately the older GOOD Subaru will cost more to repair than it's worth (at least to them). I feel for your loss of a good wagon. I (like Edrach) am still seeing a chiropractor and going to physical therapy for the whiplash.

If your doors are wonky I would seriously suggest you make sure your shell is still relatively straight, the doors not closing is a telltale sign of frame or shell problems. If it's split a seam somewhere it could rust or do something equally nasty in a bizarre place. I've seen a wagon from an entirely different maker suffer a rear end hit, and 12 months later it was unroadworthy because a major seam has split in the accident and the red cancer had eaten some important sections of the floorpan, after $1000's had been spent on the repair to the car elsewhere.

Always check an accident damaged car with a freakin microscope.

And of course if it is too far gone to save, (and I hope thats not the case), make sure her bones and organs go to worthy recipients.

I expect a call from the insurance company today. Their adjuster visited the car Friday then called me to talk about the "pre-existing damage". No part of the car looks "new" but everything was straight and functional. I can't tell if the rear door frame is toast until the rear door is removed, which will take power tools. I suspect it will be totaled, which really screws up my elk hunt and October Oregon Dunes trip.

I spent three months looking for this configuration (torsion rear end, 4WD D/R, wagon, EA81) and don't have time to search again unless they line my pockets with enough money to buy the first one I find at a dealership.

If somebody wants a trail rig and does not mind a non-functional rear door, all they will have to do is fix the left turn lights. The engine is good (two recent trips from Tacoma to Spokane and back, 30.6 mpg) and the radiator and water pump are brand new. I put in a blue dash & all the blue plastic, and blue door panels. If it is totaled, and I can line up a buyer, I may buy it back and sell it locally to a board member. It would be a shame to strip a functional car.

I already know they will consider this a total and the fair market value will probably be about 100.00 - 200.00 . I feel for you and understand how you feel about having to give up on it. unless they have prior photos or you tell them there was prior damage they will assume it's all new damage. Just make sure that you're ok. I'd hate to see you sign off of insurance and something come up later. This happened to my dad and they sold his 90 legacy back to him for 85.00 . He paid to have the repairs done (1200.00 )and the car runs and looks great. in his situation he had too much money tied up in the car to just let it go. Good luck regardless what you decide to do. boing

i know a guy who may be interested. call me at 509-263-3853 and let me know what kind of price you'll want after the adjuster tells you it's totalled :P i'd be interested to know exactly how bad the rear door is. if you can fix it and keep it, i'd be nothing but glad for you.

are you sure that you don't want to keep it it for parts?

I'll wait to hear from the adjuster before deciding what to do. If the rear door can be replaced without body work to the inside decking and door frame, repairs will be simple. My wife is pushing for a newer (less "ugly") car, and I want to have a replacement in two weeks when hunting season starts. I have done a search for 83-84 wagons with D/R 4WD, and can't find any. I may be stuck with an EA82, so all my spare parts will be useless.

Fortunately I have not had time to install the 6 lug hubs and Buckshot Mudders, so they are available for whatever I end up with. Private party sales for EA82 D/R wagons are about $1000. I know you can get them cheaper, but then the adjuster will have to kick in the extra money for my time and keep paying for the rental while I look. Cheaper for them to write a check for the high-end private party value so I can just go buy one.

If you go with the program, you get screwed. That is why the program is there. The important thing is to do your homework so that you know your rights and the real local value of your vehicle. If it does not have a dual range tranny, it is not a candidate for determining value. Supply is low and demand is high for that configuration.

I spent $200 upgrading the cooling system of the 83, and have to assume that whatever I buy will need the same. They can "refuse" to cooperate and say that they are not "allowed" to offer more, but the law determines their liability, not internal company policies.

If they low ball you on the value of your car (which they will definitely do), you should be sure to get no less than $500 compensation for your "stiff back." The first accident I was in was 45mph into the side of a 78 buick making an ill timed left turn in front of me. No serious injuries to speak of, but the adjuster low balled me on the cars value. When I complained about their offer, he told me that he had a lot more flexability with the personal injury settlement. Assuming you dont have any medical concerns relating to this accident that could drag out into the future, you should be able to talk your way into $500-1000 for your stiff back without really exagerating your pain.

Good luck. Keith

The insurance company has offered to settle, and I'll get more money if I let them keep the car. It may only need to have the rear hatch pryed out and replaced, and a new tail-light, but I my wife is really leaning on my to let it go and get a less "ugly" car.

If anyone within driving distance wants the car, make an offer, FAST. Otherwise I will mail the title to the insurance company.

I'll start a for-sale thread.