Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum problems/Disty Question (ea71/ea81)

I swapped out a 2 vac line ea71 disty for a single vac line ea81 disty.

I have the vac line connected to the disty that helps it run the best, and the other is just plugged now.

any body know what the best thing to do with it is...?

it has some weird vac issues anyway (even before this swap) and runs rough until it warms up....

well, I have the '83 disty in now though....

but I noticed it pinging horribly on the way home tonight. Disty was a tooth off, so I fixed that, and it runs much better now. hopefully it'll have a bit more power. a kid on a bike could have passed me today :lol:

yes what GD said is right. Here is kinda the scoop on it though. When you swap to a newer style of disty onto an EA71, you need to plug the vacuum retard line which is the lower one connected to the vacuum module on the front of the intake right under the carb. The other line is for the vacuum advance which gets connected to the disty.:D

well, I have the '83 disty in now though....

but I noticed it pinging horribly on the way home tonight. Disty was a tooth off, so I fixed that, and it runs much better now. hopefully it'll have a bit more power. a kid on a bike could have passed me today :lol:

Right - I'm just saying that if we inspect the vac diagram in the 80 manual, it might give a clue what to do with that extra line you have there. And as I recall, the retard line only works durring cold running...

GD