Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Outback 30th Limited...

I purchased this vehilcle with 44,xxx miles 16 months ago. Since then I have replaced two transmissions, thankfully under warranty. Now at 64,xxx the engine has had major cam bearing damage. I purchased a Subaru due to it being known as reliable. So far a nightmare. I am now looking at putting a motor in it at a cost of arouns $2500 for a rebuilt with 6 months warranty. Can anyone give me any info on what the deal might be or did I just get a p.o.s. Is this model known for these issues? 2.5l auto.

Someone please shed some light.

I purchased this vehilcle with 44,xxx miles 16 months ago. Since then I have replaced two transmissions, thankfully under warranty. Now at 64,xxx the engine has had major cam bearing damage. I purchased a Subaru due to it being known as reliable. So far a nightmare. I am now looking at putting a motor in it at a cost of arouns $2500 for a rebuilt with 6 months warranty. Can anyone give me any info on what the deal might be or did I just get a p.o.s. Is this model known for these issues? 2.5l auto.

Someone please shed some light.

Does this model have the EA82 engine?

Does this model have the EA82 engine?

I guess I will keep adding to my own post. This is my wifes car and she is now claiming there was "a ticking sound". After going through the repair and mod section it describes something similiar. Would have this caused the engine failure I now have. Also when the dealer let the oil out he claims that there was chrome in the oil. Any advice will be appreciated.

I also bought a '99 Subaru Outback Wagon becaue I thought it would be a reliable vehicle. I replaced the engine at 91,000 miles (spun rod bearing) and just had the automatic transmission rebuilt at 98,000 miles. I've had an on-going battle with the check engine light (2-knock sensors, vapor canister leaks, wiring harness resistance, etc). Good thing my wife loves the car...I've never had so much vehicle trouble in my 35-years of driving experience. This Subaru is definately my last! Good luck

I also bought a '99 Subaru Outback Wagon becaue I thought it would be a reliable vehicle. I replaced the engine at 91,000 miles (spun rod bearing) and just had the automatic transmission rebuilt at 98,000 miles. I've had an on-going battle with the check engine light (2-knock sensors, vapor canister leaks, wiring harness resistance, etc). Good thing my wife loves the car...I've never had so much vehicle trouble in my 35-years of driving experience. This Subaru is definately my last! Good luck

Phillip I know very litttle about engines but I am curious as to what spun rod bearing is. Forgive me for being engine illiterate. When the dealer emptied the oil out they claimed to see chrome particles. Are comparing apples to apples here.

I own a 97 Outback. I bought it at 2 yrs old with 65k km on it. I now have 406k km. It's my first experience with a Subaru.

So far, most issues have been relatively minor except for one. I had the head gaskets fail, and then the bottom end failed (conrod bearing, crank end). Head gaskets are common. Bottom end failure is not.

As time is bearing out, the 2.5L DOHC Phase I engine is proving to be the weakest engine Subaru has made in many a year. Unfortunately.

I haven't heard of too many transmission issues. Some of the late 90's have clutch pack failures in the automatics. Mine is due for replacing. This was mostly 96 and 97 models though I thought.

"Chrome" in the oil does not sound good. It suggests that a bearing (surface) is failing somewhere. While tappet noise is a common complaint, I haven't heard of many camshaft related failures in these engines.

If you are willing to put a rebuilt engine in the car, I'd suggest dealing with CCR Inc. You get a 3 yr warranty from them.

Sorry to hear of so much trouble. It doesn't matter which brand, there will be some lemons. Personally, I will definitely consider Subaru again, but I don't know that I can say that they are at the top of my list.

Commuter

I own a 97 Outback. I bought it at 2 yrs old with 65k km on it. I now have 406k km. It's my first experience with a Subaru.

So far, most issues have been relatively minor except for one. I had the head gaskets fail, and then the bottom end failed (conrod bearing, crank end). Head gaskets are common. Bottom end failure is not.

As time is bearing out, the 2.5L DOHC Phase I engine is proving to be the weakest engine Subaru has made in many a year. Unfortunately.

I haven't heard of too many transmission issues. Some of the late 90's have clutch pack failures in the automatics. Mine is due for replacing. This was mostly 96 and 97 models though I thought.

"Chrome" in the oil does not sound good. It suggests that a bearing (surface) is failing somewhere. While tappet noise is a common complaint, I haven't heard of many camshaft related failures in these engines.

If you are willing to put a rebuilt engine in the car, I'd suggest dealing with CCR Inc. You get a 3 yr warranty from them.

Sorry to hear of so much trouble. It doesn't matter which brand, there will be some lemons. Personally, I will definitely consider Subaru again, but I don't know that I can say that they are at the top of my list.

Commuter

Thanks for the advice on CCR Inc. They seem to be my best option at this point.

The rod bearing is locked into the connecting rod with a tang or pin that prevents the bearing from spinning inside the connecting rod - the bearing slides on a film of oil around the crankshaft. If the rod bearing siezes onto the crankshaft, the bearing will spin inside the connecting rod - very serious problem!

Phillip I know very litttle about engines but I am curious as to what spun rod bearing is. Forgive me for being engine illiterate. When the dealer emptied the oil out they claimed to see chrome particles. Are comparing apples to apples here.

And once the bearing spins the oil supply to that bearing is shut off.

If the dealer is claiming chrome in the oil ask for the used oil analysis (UOA) with the data to back up his claim. Seeing "chrome" particles is BS IMO. They are probaby seeing aluminum.

The metals commonly tested in UOA are:

Aluminum

Chromium

Iron

Copper

Lead

Tin

Molybdenum

Nickel

Manganese

Silver

Titanium