Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Having owned a few Subarus, I am aware of chronic rust problems. I just noticed on my 2000 GT Legacy that road sand had been collecting (and retaining moisture) in the space just forward of the front doors, right above the rocker panel and behind the wheel wells. If you open the doors you can easily visualize the space and use a gentle stream from a hose to flush out the sand etc.. There is a small drain hole at the bottom of this space that will function as intended once you get rid of all of the sollids.

Having owned a few Subarus, I am aware of chronic rust problems.

I have owned 10 Subaru’s and never had one that has had rust issues?

Maybe we are lucky here in Colorado?

But this is a good idea; I blast this area with the high pressure wash when I clean my car.

Rust is a problem in Salt States............

When I lived in Minnesota I enlarged the drain holes in doors and anywhere else. Drill them out and prime and touch paint the metal.

Before the car wash make sure you open the doors and clear the holes of debris. Spend some extra time at the doors to make sure they are flushed out well.

Now I am in North Dakota and No Salt!!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference in corrosion on vehicles. And driving on plain sanded roads is not bad at all.

Later

Yup, In my town here in the rust belt state of Connecticut, they use sand mixed with salt! Just like throwing salt in an open wound. The good news about the rust problem is that as the car gradually rusts away and is replaced by Bondo and other lightweight materials, I get better gas mileage!

I sprayed the underneath of my O/B with a mixture of oil and wax. I also sprayed in between all the body panels,(inside the tailgate, the doors, rockerpanels and everywhere inside the engine compartement). It's a bit messy but it's the best way to prevent rust, (especially here in the northeast).