Ultimate Subaru Message Board

24 hrs review

WJM

The GL-10's fastest run before the track cooled and the tired flatspotted/chorded like mad was 31.5xx.....but another unofficial run was 31.333.

It needs GOOD NEW R compund tires, thats ALOT of time there. Otherwise, the rest of the suspension is great...just needs to be stiffer in springs a little and alot in dampening. NEEDS a Viscous center diff...possibly an LSD front, as I was always lifing the inside front tire and smoking it quite well. The car is stuck an stable unless the tires are cold and unless you've got Rs on the front and street tires on the rear...then its DRIFT SESSION! Fun stuff there.

I finally got to drive the STi. 1st one: coilover's over stock struts, STi Group N to mounts front, turbo back exh, khumo MX's in stock size. Car is LOOSE under power and turning the wheel....DRIFT! FUN!! FAST!!! Ran a 30.164 in that. Got to do it 3 times. I was being gentle in turn ins and such...but corner exits...SIDEWAYS! FUN!

Second one...crazyhorse on here that has an XT6...sold his WRX for an STi...I drove it one run. Hes made 20 runs atleast by the time he lets me take it for one run...his STi is bone stock except for a cold air intake. Stock tires too. I got out and take it easy...while he's flogging the crap out of the car...and I put in a 29 or 28? .600....im 1 tenth faster than he, first run evAr in da car! :banana:

Later on, I drove Tom Hoppe's SCCA nationals prepared car....as the day/night/wee morning/morning progressed...the car went away and more away...i was still quick in it...but I could not get out of the 31's in it....althought I think a did have a few runs that were in the mid-high 30's.

Shane drove my wagon....Shane, chime in!

I drove his RS. Its faster than all cars listed above. ALL OF YOU TIMES ARE BELONG TO RS!

about 3-4am...i flat spotted and chorded the front tire all to F and back....i called a technical as I only had two official runs posted...out of 5. Oh I did run a 33.xxx on street tires. Anywho...i was going to drive the black STi....but it's tires were cooked thanks to Pleiades and his drifting....and i simply could not drive Tom's WRX...its....very....its just set up very strange and I think the 50+ runs on the Falkens effectively cooked them. So....went out and drove Shanes RS...fAstAr!!!!!!!! Its eeeeeesssssss DA bomb!

So...make my last 3 runs in the RS...along with severl practice runs...got a 28.942...fastest official. 4th in SM overall. With out the clutch giving up on my last run, i swear I would have picked up those 0.2 secs needed to take the lead.....oh well....Ive got an RS too..... :burnout:

The engine setup is ok....broad and instant power is a key....having the engine pushing 140-160 should be great. haveing the boost up provided POWER, btu only from 3200-5000....stock boost power was from 2300-6000...you do the math.

SUspesnion...like I said...stiffer springs and dampers....coilovers a must. NEW R's a key. 225/xx/13-15 would be best.

Steering=SLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW. Swap in an impreza rack and pump is possible...

the Impreza and STi's are PHENOMINAL in steering...i was at 10/2 on the STi's and the car jsut went wereever I wanted it too...same with the RS and WRX...

GL-10....im sawing on that wheel like crazy!! Plus the pump isnot up to the task really....boils fluid and starts cavitating....

Front strut brace would not hurt.

Oh, shanes turn!

Possible sterring suggestion would be an XT rack.. I believe they are a touch quicker than the wagon rack.Also, since you have both the RS and the GL-10 now, do me a favor and measure the distance between the front struts please.. possible fitment of an Impreza front strut brace on a GL interests me.. but I don't have an Impreza here to measure.

I drove his RS. Its faster than all cars listed above. ALL OF YOU TIMES ARE BELONG TO RS!

I do agree my car seemed to be one of the quicker Subarus out there this weekend (excepting the blisteringly fast ESP STi that Joel Fehrman and Shane Metzger were driving). That said, though, Tom Hoppe still outran me by over a half-second in his STX WRX (though he did seem quite impressed with my car based on his practice runs).

So...make my last 3 runs in the RS...along with severl practice runs...got a 28.942...fastest official. 4th in SM overall. With out the clutch giving up on my last run, i swear I would have picked up those 0.2 secs needed to take the lead.....oh well....Ive got an RS too..... :burnout:

But you didn't, so my 28.690 reigned supreme in Street Mod! In fact, I even ended up 12th RAW! :D

...and yes, that clutch is getting replaced very soon and I will never buy another Kevlar clutch again, as they overheat way too easily. :mad: At least it does fully recover once you let it cool off for a while, though.

Shane drove my wagon....Shane, chime in!

I wish I had taken more than one run in your car, but even that was enough to pick up a LOT of information.

The power was quite sufficient (especially so, once the boost kicked in) and the weight was quite good (though I still say you should have taken the back seat out, as that's a lot of extra weight to lug around). Sure, there was a bit of lag, but not enough to be a major issue or anything. So while you still didn't have the sheer power/torque of my cammed EJ25, you still had an ample power/weight ratio with decent enough power response to make for a competitive SM car (at least within the local region).

The tires were (as you noted above) simply not up to par. The 205 front / 185 rear BFG R-1 setup worked adequately, but simply didn't have enough grip to be significantly faster than good street tires (honestly, you would have likely been just as fast on 205 Azenis). Even with half a season on my Victoracers (which includes quite a few events, many with co-drivers), they were FAR more grippy than your R1s (and it wasn't just because they were 225 width either, your R1s simply had too many heat-cycles to be competitive). FRESH R-compound tires (and while you are at it, 225s wouldn't hurt) would make light years of difference here.

Suspension was good (definitely better handling than my RX with it's stock suspension), but still wasn't quite there. The spring rates felt good, but the damping wasn't high enough for transitional movements (like the slaloms and lane changes). Something like Konis or KYB AGXs would make a marked improvement in this area. Also, some bigger swaybars would help a ton to eliminate some of that body roll (I'd go up in both front and rear as the front has a bigger effect on body roll and helps turn in, and the rear will help improve rotation). What swaybars and spring rates are you running (I know you have the modified coilovers in the rear and GR2s in the front but I don't recall your spring rates or sway bar sizes)?