Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Dyno results with Dynomax Ultra Flow SS Muffler

I never posted this info so I figure, what the hizzle. All the XT6ers aren't at the other sites right? :)

Not to long ago, I did 4 stock dyno runs, went to muffler shop (Meineke) to have custom 2.25" piping and muffler I had installed and drove back up to the dyno shop for 4 more dyno runs. So everything was done on the same day. I took the BEST stock hp/torque run and compared it to one of the Dynomax runs. All the Dynomax runs were fairly consistent while two of the stock runs did better than two others. So, this is a best case stock vs average Dynomax comparison. The hp/torque variance would've been more had I used any of the other stock runs but I wanted to post a 'worst' case scenario to not inflate the numbers.

Here's a dyno of a completely stock AWD/Auto XT6 vs same XT6 with 2.25" cat back piping with a 2.25" In/Out Dynomax Ultraflow SS Muffler in 3rd gear (In FWD mode).

mini-ThirdGearHP.jpg

mini-ThirdGearTorque.jpg

mini-allgears.jpg

All runs were in FWD. I could've done AWD but I did this previously in this car and I couldn't get into 3rd gear. The tranny is very weak. Also, the AWD mechanism isn't working properly since the rear wheels don't engage on the dyno. I have 1st and 2ng gear dyno info also but didn't want to confuse with a bunch of line graphs all over the place.

Note the Dynomax muffler moved the powerband up about 2500rpm. You may not be able to see closely but playing with the dyno software shows anywhere from 4ft/lbs to 10ft/lbs (Like at 5700rpm) in some places. If I used any of the worse stock runs, it'd be even higher. Seems like an ok mod. :D

Pics of the two different mufflers can be found in this thread:

http://www.xt6.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2814

Heres how the stock and Dynomax muffler sound. May not be the best example.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/XT6StockMuff.MOV

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/XT6DynomaxMuff.MOV

I'm posting from work and I'm bored so don't mind me. Labory Day + Working = Teh Sucks!:(

Glad you posted!

More fun looking at real numbers instead of talking about what ifs :)

When's the next dyno run? :brow:

I never really plan any dyno runs. If I have some extra $$$, a stupid idea or something I want to test out, I call them up and just drive up there. I have a lot of dyno runs of the other XT6 but just didn't think people would be interested here since there's another XT6 site.

As I get more (especially of the 'newer' XT6 I got), I'll be sure to post up results. I have some work to do on both of them. They both have unknown problems right now.

• 1 month later...
how did you keep it so close to stoich. ?

*Post raises from the dead*

I hate leaving unanswered questions and I didn't answer yours so...... I found this looking or old dyno information specifically for the RX and RX turbo.

Anyways, I didn't keep it close to stoich on purpose. It was simply how the car ran when it was being tested. I'd like for the air/fuel ratio to be at 13.0 - 13.5's. It seems it makes the most power in the 13.0 - 13.5 range. I don't have a fuel pressure regulator on this XT6 though.

how did you keep it so close to stoich. ?
*Post raises from the dead*

I didn't do this on purpose. The car just ran this way while on the dyno. I actually would like to have my air/fuel ratio in the 13.0 - 13.5 range. Seems to make the most power this way. I don't have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on this XT6 though.

I ran into this thread looking for old dyno information about the RX and RX turbo and I hate leaving unanswered questions. Sorry if I seemed like I ignored you. :)