Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ACK help me decide on an oil... to many choices!

I use the Parts Plus or Napa store brand oils (both are valvoline) in 5-30 weight. No pressure problems, no leaking oil pump. Change it every 3-4k and twice a year I flush using a cheap oil filter, a quart of ATF and top off w/ oil mentioned above. Run it aroung 75-100 miles, drain and refill (new, quality filter, of course) and voila...clean engine.

I would think 15w-40 would be a bit thick to run on an engine that's been rebuilt that recently, although that would depend on two conditions: climate, and what sort of oil pressure the engine is building. In a hot climate, or if the oil pressure is marginal, I'd go with the 15w-40. I would only recommend that oil in that case though, because if you are using a thicker oil and it's not needed to keep the engine alive or prevent burning, then it's just creating extra drag and lowering the efficiency of the engine.

My personal preference, which I've come by from listening to chatter on the board, is for Castrol GTX (for a dino oil). In my customers' cars, I generally run Citgo oil unless another brand is requested, since it's still better than Chevron or the like, but doesn't cost that much. Regardless of the brand, I normally use 10w-40 in summer and 10w-30 in winter. However, when I switch to Mobil1 synthetic in my newly rebuilt engine, all they've got is 10w-30, so I'll run that year round since it's got darn good oil pressure.

I would think 15w-40 would be a bit thick to run on an engine that's been rebuilt that recently, although that would depend on two conditions: climate, and what sort of oil pressure the engine is building. In a hot climate, or if the oil pressure is marginal, I'd go with the 15w-40. I would only recommend that oil in that case though, because if you are using a thicker oil and it's not needed to keep the engine alive or prevent burning, then it's just creating extra drag and lowering the efficiency of the engine.

My personal preference, which I've come by from listening to chatter on the board, is for Castrol GTX (for a dino oil). In my customers' cars, I generally run Citgo oil unless another brand is requested, since it's still better than Chevron or the like, but doesn't cost that much. Regardless of the brand, I normally use 10w-40 in summer and 10w-30 in winter. However, when I switch to Mobil1 synthetic in my newly rebuilt engine, all they've got is 10w-30, so I'll run that year round since it's got darn good oil pressure.

the Dello400 15w-40 like many other Diesel spacific oils are great, and better than many dino oils out there, quite possibly the best oil you can get without going synthetic. all the cars at my house use Dello400 ( Ford f-150, Toyota Camry, Acura Integra Acura Legend, VW Scirocco, and my suby. ) we also had a ford van that used it, ask around it is a very good oil...ad its not to thick...i run 20w-50 in my VW during the summer. :)