Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saiduwhat! Two Catalytic Converters?

I was afraid that was the case. That jacked up the replacement cost a bit. I found front and center exhaust section replacements online for about $400 total.

It's either that or fab a couple of $99 aftermarket cats into the existing systems myself. Any other cost savers (cheap asses like me) out there who have passed smog this way? Is it feasable?

Thanks

Have Fun!

I was afraid that was the case. That jacked up the replacement cost a bit. I found front and center exhaust section replacements online for about $400 total.

It's either that or fab a couple of $99 aftermarket cats into the existing systems myself. Any other cost savers (cheap asses like me) out there who have passed smog this way? Is it feasable?

Thanks

Have Fun!

I dont know what you have on there right now but I got away with one replacement 3 way cat and a dummy front cat. it passed ok like that.

what do you have on it now? did it fail? if so what were the numbers?

I have an 86 GL Wagon that was given to me with the stock cats taken out, and a piece of pipe connecting the Y. Then, just one big cat and mine passed california smog. Just my inputs. I wish I didn't have to pass smog though, cause I have New Mexico plates, but I have to pass to get on the military base. Also, prior to getting mine smogged, I retarded the timing a couple degrees, it made a difference. The shop told me to do this. My 86 has 212k on the original motor, and still keeps going and going...

the first one is an oxidizing catalyst; the second is a reducing catalyst. it is legal in all states except california to replace those two with a single unit designed for that purpose.
technically true yes. but the smog tech is not required to get under the car and verify that you have the two seperate cats during the inspection. so as long as you have one good 3 way cat you are probably fine. a smog ref. might actually check if you had to go there for anything.

you are not really required to have a muffler either I have smoged mine with only the down pipe and cat in place. they just need a place to stick the probe (no not like that you sicko)

Iv'e got the two original cats on now with 180,000 miles on the vehicle. Yep! It failed as a gross polluter at 2500 RPM but passed at Idle. At 2500 RPM, Max allowable HC is 150, I was 181. Max allowable CO % is 2.7, I was 4.49

I dont know what you have on there right now but I got away with one replacement 3 way cat and a dummy front cat. it passed ok like that.

what do you have on it now? did it fail? if so what were the numbers?