Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check your model years!

I had the same thing with my 81 Brat. Granted, this was back before I had been to this board and had even seen a Gen 2 Brat, but when I bought my 81 Brat, I was told it was an 82. So, I went and bought a lift kit and had everything started, but then found out that that wouldn't work. What do you know?

• 4 months later...
hey 91loyale you might want to make sure your hood is the original hood cause ya never know..... and if the date on the vin plate is 7/91 or older then it's a 91
Just a word to the wise... I have a '98 2.5RS Impreza production date 6-97 Serial # 400212 however Serial # 400011 is here in Cleveland and the production date is 2-97 yet it is titled 1998. Always double check the VIN code for the correct year of production. Gary

yeah the vin number is the real indicator of what model year a car is. production date is almost worthless. under hood sticker is better but not 100% sure.

I was talking about old school subies not new school and the ones I have seen for manufacture dates it's august for the new model year but when the legacy's started coming out then the model year stuff came all screwed up and also federal mandates changed too so manufacturers could call it a 2005 when it's early 2004 cause it meets the standards and mandates for the 2005 model year constraints held by the EPA and DOT

I was talking about old school subies not new school and the ones I have seen for manufacture dates it's august for the new model year but when the legacy's started coming out then the model year stuff came all screwed up and also federal mandates changed too so manufacturers could call it a 2005 when it's early 2004 cause it meets the standards and mandates for the 2005 model year constraints held by the EPA and DOT

understood. I just see too many people looking at door stickers trying to guess what year the car really is. I used to sell auto parts. and you dont know how many times this was an issue. the under hood lable is really my first place to look. and if that fails I look it up by VIN.

• 11 months later...

For most vehicles built before 1996, the production year starts in August. Most manufacturer still do this today, although some don't. If you have a car that was built in 10/90, then it is a 91 model year, if it's a 07/90 then it is a 90 vehicle. Like my Brat, it was built 08/81 so it's an 82. Vin is a pretty good identifier, although not totally. I did have a truck come into work that had had the door replaced, and the dash. So it had 3 different years, and 3 different vin's in it. I had to find the one on the frame to come up with the right year and everything. SO you can't be 100% by looking at just one source, more is better...

Another thread returns from the dead! :lol:

My loyale wagon is becoming the most confused car ever. It will have a 1992 body, hood, fenders, and tranny from an 86 3-door, engine from a 1992 legacy, sundry parts from random vehicles. I'll have to make a list of source vehicles under the hood for ordering parts.

my 90 loyale will start without the clutch, and has a split folding back seat.

might as wellbe a GL with no options and no plastic on the tailgate corners. but it says loyale on the door

must be a FIRST run of "loyale" i bet the mfr date is 89