Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift is done

one eye

I finally got my lift done. It's only a 4" but I can finally turn my front tires more than 1/60th of a turn. Plus It likes to wheel a whole heck of a lot better.I changed a whole bunch of stuff on it to. I went through and put new heads on, 2 cv axles clutch cable lift and little odds and ends. I'll get pics of it and show everyone soon. :grin:

Jeff

I did have to do all that pounding and stuff. I built all my lift so it doesn't look that good like it your pic there but the strut bocks were by far the hardest part of all lots of grinding and fabin' were involved. I gave it the first test this weekend in a big ol' mud pit. Nothing fell off and the motor still runs so I think she's good to go.

Jeff

I just installed the BYB 4inch lift in my Suby but am puzzled by a few items. The steering extension (rod with two joints) was too long and the kit is missing the "T" looking rod. I have seen this item in another photo but it was not included in my kit.. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Also the lift make the front sit higher than the rear. Has anyone else seen this problem?

THanks,

Ratelo

I just installed the BYB 4inch lift in my Suby but am puzzled by a few items. The steering extension (rod with two joints) was too long and the kit is missing the "T" looking rod. I have seen this item in another photo but it was not included in my kit.. Anyone know where I can get one of these? Also the lift make the front sit higher than the rear. Has anyone else seen this problem?

THanks,

Ratelo

Sounds like some funny stuff is going on there. I thought the BYB 4" lift was reallly a 3"front/4"rear ... maybe some blocks got swaped?

I would get in touch with PKDavis. He will help you out for sure on exactly what you need :)

actually it should be a 4" in the front and a 3" in the rear. or at least that's how mine was built and i'm sure they are still built that way. tighten your back torsion bars to raise the rear end. you can renotch it higher too. that will take some explanation. it's not too hard though. i'm figuring you are talking about hte 4/3 kit for an ea81...

Hi Ratelo,

I'm sorry, but that name is not familiar. Where did you get this BYB kit?... different name? The steering should be a T-bar unless you have power steering, then it is a double u-joint. 4-inch front and 3-inch rear is correct, with the rear torsion as Rooinator says adjusts to desired stance.

r/ PK :confused:

Sounds like some funny stuff is going on there. I thought the BYB 4" lift was reallly a 3"front/4"rear ... maybe some blocks got swaped?

I would get in touch with PKDavis. He will help you out for sure on exactly what you need :)

ah ha !

well after it's all done then you can imagine it will look like this .. worth the wait ..

http://clearwater990.tripod.com/

Hi Ratelo,

I'm sorry, but that name is not familiar. Where did you get this BYB kit?... different name? The steering should be a T-bar unless you have power steering, then it is a double u-joint. 4-inch front and 3-inch rear is correct, with the rear torsion as Rooinator says adjusts to desired stance.

r/ PK :confused:

Patrick, I traded emails with you a few years back trying to order a 4inch kit but at the time you were still starting up that kit. I happened to be in Sydney first part of 2002 on a job so I contacted Brett and he shipped me one down. I am just getting around to installing it and realized that the steering link is the double joint style in the kit and I need the T-bar. I tried numerous times to contact Brett since but no joy. Can you help me out?

Thanks, I'll see if I can do the torsion bar adjustment in the rear. Also, I have some fairly extreme positive camber in the front. Can you tell me which way the strut should be mounted for the 4wd version? I also noticed that there is missing a longer block which must be for the front as I see on your website photos. Would that be for the engine stabilizer mod? I have one more item left over that is a rod with a bend in it and round bushings on either end. Where does that fit in? Do you have any pictures that might help me sort it out? THanks for your help.

Ratelo (Erik)

I just read McBrat's article on the 5" lift without welding.

Curious how one adjusts the front suspension up the 1" to make it a 5 " total for the struts? Anyone else tried it? I may be too new at this but its got me puzzled.

Ill be on the hunt for RX springs if I can get past the basic 4" kit parts issues.

if your front suspension is adjustable, the struts have two adjusters under the spring. 21 mm i think.

Front struts are adjusted fully down. Got the engine support bar in and will be hammering out the wheel well and grinding off the strut tower for a better fit. Hopefully that reduces the positive camber.

Can anyone detail me how the rear torsion bars are adjusted?

Lift is almost done.

Front struts are adjusted fully down. Got the engine support bar in and will be hammering out the wheel well and grinding off the strut tower for a better fit. Hopefully that reduces the positive camber.

Can anyone detail me how the rear torsion bars are adjusted?

Lift is almost done.

To get the back of the car up there Is a 19mm depending on if its a hatch, or a wagon It will be under the rear seat. If its a Brat it's harder you got to get up under the rig and turn it. Or you can be lazy like me and cut a hole in the bed so you can use the air gun. I don't know If that was what you were asking but there you go.

Jeff