Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback... front brake wear

I have a 1997 Outback with 160k miles. Since I've owned it, I've replaced both front calipers because the pistons seem to have hung-up. I thought that would take care of my problem which is that the driver's side always seems to be wearing much faster then the other. Also, when I had the discs turned, they commented that I had some overheat damage on one of the discs. I lubed the slides but what more can I do? Even now after you drive it a while, you can feel more heat coming off the driver's side disc after you stop. Also, I seem to have a slight shimmy of the steering wheel at speed. Are these issues related? How do I correct the brake wear part?

I am NOT for sure on this, but sounds like one of your rotors is warped. This would cause the unusual wear you mention (and the heat) and would be due to the heat damage they mentioned. I would do new rotors and new pads.

Does the car shimmy when braking? This is another tell-tale sign of a warped rotor.

Hi,

Are you certain it was a problem with the caliper pistons and not the brake hoses? Perhaps a little of both?

If your flex hoses that connect the caliper to the rigid lines is showing its age (swelling up, not allowing fluid to return) then one side could be applying the brakes all the time. Do you feel the car pull to one side? The shimmy could be the pads pressing on a slightly warped rotor.

For starters, try flushing the brake fluid and replacing it all. As the fluid comes out of the calipers, examine it for particles which may indicate deteriorating hoses. Oh, and use Castrol LMA brake fluid, good stuff.

Regards,

Adnan

I would join in the recommendation that you replace the rotors. In addition to the symptoms you've reported, you also noted that the guys who turned the rotors noted heat damage. It has been my impression (perhaps incorrect) that once you've got a heat damaged rotor it's time to get new ones....

Bill