Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1995 Legacy trouble codes

Hi folks - this is my first post to the forum.

My 1995 Legacy check engine light came on the other day and I want to diagnose the problem by reading the trouble codes. The problem is that I can't find the dang LED that is supposed to blink when the ignition key is ON.

I removed the dashboard panel below the steering wheel to expose the wiring and connectors. I see what appears to be the computer module (a gray metal box about 3x5"), but there are no LEDs visible on it. I have used a mirror to check behind the box with no luck.

Does anyone know where the computer is located on my 95 Legacy (auto, 2.2L) or if the computer has the LED at all? I'd rather not buy an OBD2 monitor if I can just read the blinking LED as I used to do on my dearly departed Oldsmobile.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Mark

Even with the 91-94 Legacy models you have to jumper a certain connector together to get the Check engine light to flash. It's not like the older Loyales that had an LED built into the ECU that flashes. The 95 model year went to OBDII and I don't believe has that ability anymore. You should be able to stop by a local Advance auto parts or similar and have the codes pulled for free. They won't tell you what the codes mean, but simpley give you the numbers. Then you can post those numbers up here and we should be able to tell you.

Keith

So when cars go with OBD II, they forgo the simple flasher? That makes sense in some ways, but makes it harder to do a quick trouble check without special tools. Oh well...

I don't live near Advance auto, but I'll either rent or buy a reader from a local auto parts store.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Many DIY Auto Parts Stores will diagnose your system at no charge. In my area, Shucks Auto Supply or Auto Zone do it free. Remember though, just because the trouble code shows a particular malfunction (ie 0325 knock sensor), that doesn't mean the sensor is defective, it means there is a problem in that circuit. Often times the problem is a bad connection or poor ground.

Hi folks - this is my first post to the forum.

My 1995 Legacy check engine light came on the other day and I want to diagnose the problem by reading the trouble codes. The problem is that I can't find the dang LED that is supposed to blink when the ignition key is ON.

I removed the dashboard panel below the steering wheel to expose the wiring and connectors. I see what appears to be the computer module (a gray metal box about 3x5"), but there are no LEDs visible on it. I have used a mirror to check behind the box with no luck.

Does anyone know where the computer is located on my 95 Legacy (auto, 2.2L) or if the computer has the LED at all? I'd rather not buy an OBD2 monitor if I can just read the blinking LED as I used to do on my dearly departed Oldsmobile.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the tip Phillip. Auto Zone lends out readers for no charge (refundandable deposit required). I plugged it in and found out that my engine coolant temperature circuit is faulty.

I have a Chilton's service manual and tried to find the coolant sensor but to no avail. It is supposed to be on the intake manifold, but I couldn't see anything that looked like a two terminal sensor screwed into the manifold (viewing from the top side), which is where the manual indicated it would be. Of course, the manifold is surrounded by dense tubing, which makes inspection more difficult. Do you have any idea where the temp sensor is located?

Thanks,

Mark

Many DIY Auto Parts Stores will diagnose your system at no charge. In my area, Shucks Auto Supply or Auto Zone do it free. Remember though, just because the trouble code shows a particular malfunction (ie 0325 knock sensor), that doesn't mean the sensor is defective, it means there is a problem in that circuit. Often times the problem is a bad connection or poor ground.