Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3at fwd ea82, question.. does not go into second?

a friend of mine has an ea82 wagon FWD 3at...

he sais it does not shift into second at all, not even when it is put into the 2nd gear selector... it goes from 1st to 3rd... thats it...

is there a fix for this? anyone know the reson for the problem?

I have never worked on the internals of an AT before.. so this one is new to me!

thanks!

Can someone enlighten me on the "governor problem", aside from the one running this state?

I also have an EA82 FWD 3AT, and mine will go into 2nd if you force it to. otherwise when its in drive, under normal acceleration, it goes from 1st, almost in second like its kidding me, and sorta "slurrs" into 3rd gear at 30 mph, which, provides very poor acceleration. If you go WOT goin on the freeway it will use second gear till about 55, but it sure seems eager to get in that damn 3rd gear..

-Mike

Well there are really two common governor problems… First, drive gear “apple core” type wear, most common with earlier plastic gears, can be replaced with metal gears that came standard in later trannys.

Second, wear in the spool valve causes sharp burrs that make the valve stick, makes for a host of shifting problems. Fix involves removing, de-burring and cleaning, and re-installing, there WAS a good write-up in the “repair manual”, but it looks to be missing now.

Stephenw22, if you have it maybe you could send it to the admins so they can re-post it.

Gary