Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody ever gut their Legacy cat? (off-road only)

coloradosubarules

I just purchased a 91 legacy sedan AWD that I was thinking about off-roading but the cat is clogged and practialy glows red when running for any length of time and throws up the CE light for the o2 sensor. I was wondering if anyone has ever gutted the cat and had a problem with the car not running properly. Please note: If I gut the cat the car will only be used for off-road driving. (For all you DOT and EPA types)

I just purchased a 91 legacy sedan AWD that I was thinking about off-roading but the cat is clogged and practialy glows red when running for any length of time and throws up the CE light for the o2 sensor. I was wondering if anyone has ever gutted the cat and had a problem with the car not running properly. Please note: If I gut the cat the car will only be used for off-road driving. (For all you DOT and EPA types)

;) It should run just fine. I did it to my old Brat when that happened, and I think we did that to our old Rally car which was a 91 Legacy LS. You can gut the cat and put a straight piece in place of the muffler and it will run fine, assuming there aren't other problems with the engine.

Keith

I went to Rallitek.com and let me tell you, the price for a cat delet is $229.00 and $15.00 to ship. For that price I could just get another cat. Looks like she is getting the prybar treatment. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully the nuts and bolts do not give me any trouble. she isn't rusted so I hope it goes smooth.

Oregon:

Only has emissions testing within portland and some suburbs...

so that's why I live in scio. so long as you don't abuse the decible limit, and don't pour out smoke out the back, police don't bother you.

off topic sorta: like when I had my dual exhaust up on my hatchback. consisted of 2" ID turndowns, to 2 1/4" cherrybombs, exiting right behind the driver's/passenger's seat area under the car. *LOUDDDD*

I passed by a couple cops and nobody bothered me.