Ultimate Subaru Message Board

possilbe new t case for mods

i was reading in one of my mags(offroad i think) anyway the full size broncos had a devorced t case like the NIssan 720, but as i remeber its a NP205. probably a little heavy for most lifted subarus but probably good behind an xt6 or ej20g or somthing like that anyway thats the only other devorced tcase i know of...

heck even the rockcrawling dudes say it's freakin heavy, and they're running 150lb rim/tire combos and d60 axles that weight like 350lbs each.

If someone ever sticks a small block v8 in a hatch and wanted to run 40" tires, this would be the ticket. Okay, 40" tires in a hatch would be stupid, it would be taller than it is long, but it's just an example :lol:

I think the easiest case to use is the nissan, it shares the subaru flanges. But it is quite tall.

The most aftermarket support is for the suzuki samurai case. But it has different flanges than subaru.

My lada niva case is rare, but has center diff lock, and can be packed up really tight. Though the outputs are offset, the angles are still well within acceptable limits. It also shares the nissan/subaru flanges.

NP205 doesn't even use flanges, it uses u-bolts to clamp the u-joints onto the flange. So it requires a whole different kind of driveshaft. You'd want to use american axles because they use this kind of yoke as well.

The New Process NP-204 was available in GM light and heavy trucks. Full-time 4wd w/ dual range. Chain driven, practically bullet proof.

Oh and it weighs more than your current engine and tranny....combined.

Your thinking of the np203:)

Any way a 205 would not be very benificial. Aside from being extremely heavy, it only has a 1.92:1 low range. That is not very good. But it is bomb proof, and you can take the aformentioned np 203 and mate it with the np205 for a doubler t-case that yeilds a 5.0:1 low range. That unit would probably weigh 200 lbs+.

heck even the rockcrawling dudes say it's freakin heavy, and they're running 150lb rim/tire combos and d60 axles that weight like 350lbs each.

If someone ever sticks a small block v8 in a hatch and wanted to run 40" tires, this would be the ticket. Okay, 40" tires in a hatch would be stupid, it would be taller than it is long, but it's just an example :lol:

I think the easiest case to use is the nissan, it shares the subaru flanges. But it is quite tall.

The most aftermarket support is for the suzuki samurai case. But it has different flanges than subaru.

My lada niva case is rare, but has center diff lock, and can be packed up really tight. Though the outputs are offset, the angles are still well within acceptable limits. It also shares the nissan/subaru flanges.

NP205 doesn't even use flanges, it uses u-bolts to clamp the u-joints onto the flange. So it requires a whole different kind of driveshaft. You'd want to use american axles because they use this kind of yoke as well.

Has anyone ever tried using a toyota truck t-case? The one from the 20r-22re engines is all gear driven, aluminum, and has more aftermarket support than the zuki case. They are also very strong units.

Well the toyota t-case is not normally divorced, but you can get a divorce kit from marlin crawler ($$). And whats the point if it has an offset front output anyways, unless you're going solid toyota axles. Both the toyota and the np205 are huge cases, and we are nowhere near the point where we need that strength. np205s survive under big blocks, 4000+ lbs and 40" tires. We are running little flat-4s, and 31" tires in vehicles just breaking 3000lbs with all the extra 4x4 gear.

Well the toyota t-case is not normally divorced, but you can get a divorce kit from marlin crawler ($$). And whats the point if it has an offset front output anyways, unless you're going solid toyota axles. Both the toyota and the np205 are huge cases, and we are nowhere near the point where we need that strength. np205s survive under big blocks, 4000+ lbs and 40" tires. We are running little flat-4s, and 31" tires in vehicles just breaking 3000lbs with all the extra 4x4 gear.

The yota t-case isn't that big. It is all aluminum, and weighs like 80lbs. Now your other gripes about the output shaft and such are understandable.

I wasn't really thinking in terms of strenght when I mentioned it, just possibilities. I know it would be overkill for the yote t-case. I have seen them stand up to big blocks.(TTC-98)

It's not big compared to most other truck t-cases, but it's alot bigger than a nissan case, and way bigger than the little lada case I've got (once compared to a grapefruit in size, jokingly) Another option is a suzuki lj transfer case, they are up and down style, divorced, with a rear t-case brake, with a 1.5:1 ratio high range (back to stock performance on 31s) and 3.5:1 low range reduction. I forgot to add that my lada niva tcase has a high range reduction of 1.2:1 as well.

Guest taprackready
Ford used that T-case for quite afew years in the 3/4 Ton 4X4's. It's a good unit, but "a bit heavy" doesn't come close. All gear drive internals, cast-iron shell, sucker is just plain "heavy".

Actually, Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet all used that transfercase at one time or another. I've got a 78 Chevy shortbed, 1/2 ton 4x4 with that t-case in it factory. I've got an SM465 stick shift as well and I think all rigs with the stick shift came with that transfer case no matter how light duty it was. I love it.

Bill

well i've been researching that for a little while... i probably shouldn't share it yet. but here's what i've found so far. as real common heavy or not. pro's and cons...

"NP 205/200

pros, pure beef, never break it with 35"s, fairly common, twinstickable,

cons, heavy as hell, rumors of gear set but never happens.

Dana 20/18

Pros, common, plently of lowrange options, twinstickable, no prob with 35"s

cons, Need kit from AA to make it divorced,

Toyota 4cyl

Pros, beefy, tons of aftermarket support, lo range from 2.28- 5.0,

cons, need kit form OTT to make divorced.

Sami

Pros, tons of after market gearing from stock to 8 to 1, common, divorced in stock configuration,

cons, both outputs offset, 35s ok but starting to push your luck?

Datsun 720 pickup

pros, common in junkyard, divorced in stock configuration,

cons, no aftermarket support, strength??, no gearing options"

"Quote" overkiller's response to a post found on another board.