Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trailer Wiring on 2003 Legacy L Wagon (Not Outback)

I recently purchased a 2003 Legacy L "Special Edition" wagon and am looking to install a trailer hitch on the vehicle. From what I have read and found there isn't a wiring harness that plugs into the factory wiring system for the Legacy Wagon unless it's an Outback model. So what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any place that makes/sells wiring harnesses that plug into the factory system for just a plain 2003 Legacy L wagon or if anyone has used an Outback wiring harness on an Legacy L wagon?

Thanks,

Heath

bump

I recently purchased a 2003 Legacy L "Special Edition" wagon and am looking to install a trailer hitch on the vehicle. From what I have read and found there isn't a wiring harness that plugs into the factory wiring system for the Legacy Wagon unless it's an Outback model. So what I'm wondering is if anyone knows of any place that makes/sells wiring harnesses that plug into the factory system for just a plain 2003 Legacy L wagon or if anyone has used an Outback wiring harness on an Legacy L wagon?

Thanks,

Heath

Hi, I use a trailer on my 95 Legacy L wagon which requires a powered tailight converter to isolate the trailer lights from the car's stop and turn lights. It's not hard to hook up with included splices. I also use a cat. 2 hitch I got from hitchesonline.com. I found that the short tongue on the trailer was prone to sway - sometimes severe. I also installed a friction style sway control device which is worth its weight in gold as we travel to and from Colorado to Pennsylvania every winter.

• 10 months later...

Just noticed your posting after I posted a similar one. Have you had any luck? ANy good comments that helped?

Cheers

scott

Thanks,

Heath

Hi Scott,

I wasn't able to find any sort of harness in the Legacy model nor any posts that said it had one. It looks like it is only in the Outback. So I ended up just splicing the wires and it works great. If you have any quesitons, let me know.

Heath

Just noticed your posting after I posted a similar one. Have you had any luck? ANy good comments that helped?

Cheers

scott

Gentlemen,

On my 02 OBW I couldn't find the wiring harness plug that the factory trailer hitch installation manual said was there, behind the panel of the rear wheel of the driver's side. It was on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR, behind the passenger side rear wheel. Does the same thing apply to your Legacy?